How supportive is your child's primary school?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loopylou

Re: How supportive is your child's primary school?

Post by loopylou »

The impression I got was that it was viewed as a very few gaining an advantage at the expense of the many in some way. Ironically though the Surrey schools really don't suffer a brain drain in the way that non selective schools might in fully selective areas. So few children get grammar school places here that the local comprehensive schools easily have enough bright children to form proper top groups, offer 2 languages, offer triple science, have an Oxbridge route etc.

I also suspect parental anguish and competitiveness over the whole issue can cause problems at some schools too. 11+ mania can really take hold. Heads are probably keen that successes are played down to avoid the inevitable upset that others in the school feel and continue to feel now that the process is so protracted (October initial results, March offers, spring waiting lists and summer appeals lead to a whole year of 11+ worry for some).
newdud

Post by newdud »

You have to understand that 90 % of children in any one state primary do not have any intention of going to a GS nor are they suitable for them. For this reason the school cannot be seen to be pondering to the minority. Also passes in 11+ do not help them in the league table , SATs do.
For those who want try for a GS it can be bit of lonely journey with no support from the school.
Doubledutch

Post by Doubledutch »

We attend a primary school which is hugely inclusive and has very low SAT results (second to bottom in the borough last year), due to large population of low achievers with SEN. The middle class kids with ability tend to be transferred to the middle class state school a few streets down.
However, even though some of the teachers are sometimes a little reluctant to show enthusiasm, the head, head of KS2 and class teacher have been unanimous in their support. When my DS failed to get into WCGS (thanks to that famous technical error) and I talked to the head about potential comprehensives in the area, she exclaimed that he simply HAD to get into a grammar school and that no comprehensive in our area would be right for him.
So, nothing but praise for our lovely, inclusive, somewhat underperforming-in-the-league-tables school, where both my boys (I have an older one who has just moved on from GS)have proven that bright kids can also do well in not very academic schools, so long as they are supported.
flumper

Post by flumper »

doubledutch - that's a lovely tale - you are v lucky! Ours totally ignores it. I can see why the Primary school wants to play down grammar school so as not to create divisions and disruption amongst the children. But it's intensely annoying, mostly because actually over two thirds of the year are taking the exams, and absolutely no acknowledgement of the process or hard work is given. It's hardly a minority.

As tiffinboys says the schools are usually very happy to take credit for great Y6 results in SATs, as is what happened in DD's year last year - an unusually well-performing year for that year group with a record number going to GS which fed through increased numbers of Level 6 results etc. Headteacher very happy :evil: grr would have been helpful if they had offered extension work at the right time but instead we had booster groups in April and May to bump their SATs figures.

YES I know it's our choice as parents to put them through this (very horrible) GS system. The thing is you end up feeling guilty and it becomes a massive taboo.

I'm just sad I've got to go through all this again for DS. I'm not even going to bother asking the school this time round, just rolling up my sleeves and getting on with it :roll:
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Posting from a different county but still opt-in...

I think our head when dd was doing the grammar schools was quietly supportive. I think he probably was against the selective system in principle but he never said so. He tried to manage expectations I think. I think one of the problems was that our school is very middle class and there are lots of parents who feel genuinely affronted that their children are not achieving top marks - parents who think that every child should be above average, but particularly their child. WHen they went to talk to the head about their child's chances of passing the 11+ (for some of those children there was no chance) they then got offended if he said that, particularly if other parents went around piping up that the head had said their child did have a chance (and oh, how parents in our school like to stir things in the playground...) I don't think he could win. However he (and the other teachers) were hugely delighted (but very quietly and not in front of other children/parents) for those who did pass.
Doubledutch

Post by Doubledutch »

Having raved about the support we got from our head, it was all directed quietly at my two boys. The other kids are totally oblivious to what has been going on, but I think that is only right, because indeed, nobody else is of selective ability in the year group and so no one tried. All the prep was done by us (and tutor), but he was excused from doing his homework during all these exams, and, as we panicked when we were caught up in that SET mix-up, they have been prepping and mock-testing him for the Wandsworth test, as we thought Graveney would make a good Plan B. I am shocked at other school's conduct, surely they ought to care about encouraging all children to pursue what makes them happy and fulfilled, and if that is a selective education, then that is the choice of the family and the only thing a good school should do is support these choices.
Dilbud71

Post by Dilbud71 »

Our primary (a Church of England) school was very supportive. My daughter now in year 9 had lessons after school to help the 'able' children prepare. We paid for the lessons but it was really not a lot of money and not compulsory.

The head's daughter had also gone to the same GS my daughter is at and was ecstatic as she was the second girl from the school to have gone there (the GS isn't local).

By the time it came to my sons (2 years later), the head had changed and it was all about SATS. Luckily, twin 1's class teacher had a son at the GS he wanted to attend, so when he got a place, she gave a lot of advice on what he should expect. Twin 2's class teacher wasn't bothered (his son went to a local comprehensive).

On the whole it depends on the head/class teacher - some love it other loathe it with a passion ( just like some of the parents at the school gates :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now