SGS result

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Doubledutch

Re: SGS result

Post by Doubledutch »

We were also caught as one of "the 71", although my DS did not have to do the tests this week(had got through to them originally). Am happy to say that he has scored a full house, Wallington, Wilson's, Sutton, and Tiffin. I would be curious how many of the 71 did get through, as confidence on all the second tests plus Tiffin's first, for those who sat it, must have gone through the floor. My boy certainly became very subdued and solemn during those three weeks, and the veil lifted the moment we received the email with the news that it had all been a computer glitch.
newto11+

Post by newto11+ »

Sorry to hear that Moormum,but don't you worry u have the wilson's option.
NiksMum

Post by NiksMum »

My boy has passed SGS :D

What a rollercoaster it has been this week... all that nervous waiting and staring endlessly at my inbox! Feeling so emotional and delighted.... a sense of relief - well until March 2016 anyway.

Congratulations to everyone with good news. Now looking forward to the weekend and a restful half term.

Wow, what a week!
Lodge58

Post by Lodge58 »

We
Doubledutch wrote:We were also caught as one of "the 71", although my DS did not have to do the tests this week(had got through to them originally). Am happy to say that he has scored a full house, Wallington, Wilson's, Sutton, and Tiffin. I would be curious how many of the 71 did get through, as confidence on all the second tests plus Tiffin's first, for those who sat it, must have gone through the floor. My boy certainly became very subdued and solemn during those three weeks, and the veil lifted the moment we received the email with the news that it had all been a computer glitch.
Doubledutch we were one of "71" who did the test this week, we didnt qualify for either of the schools. Its all good though, DS was deemed selective for schools in Bexley and WallightonB.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Congratulations to all the boys who have got good news from SGS. My DS has passed, too, now I have to think of some sort of a celebration for tonight!

I am so glad all this waiting is over and that I will not have to do 11+ ever again! I will be worrying about GCSCs next year instead... :lol:

kashifzs and Moormum - I know you had a major roller coaster last few weeks and mixed news after the 2nd stage, but at least your sons have passed one of the schools each. Well done to your boys, they did remarkably well given the circumstances.

(kashifzs - I posted some more details re. Tiffin for you on the other thread)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Inthezone

Post by Inthezone »

So possibly opening a can of worms here but as DS didn't pass Sutton they did provide his results including his SET results. Has anyone else got these and knows how to interpret them?
sammyp

Post by sammyp »

DS passed Sutton but failed Wilson. In wilson he got 452 but passing score was 480. I am not sure what are his chances of getting either Wallington or Sutton. We are out of catchment for Sutton. If we move half km we will be in Sutton catchment postcode. Will that make a difference.
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

Being in catchment makes a difference at schools like SGS where some priority is given for living in a certain postcode. It means that those who pass the test with less than the very top scores can get places by virtue of living locally. However, the deadline for applications is very soon so how would it be possible to move house, get proof of new address and apply on time? It isn't allowed just to quickly rent a flat near to the school and use that address - it has to be your home address all done and documented properly.

So the answer is possibly yes - it could make all the difference between getting a place and not in March if you lived in catchment but it probably isn't an option at this stage.
If you move after March, your DS could go on the in-catchment rather than out of catchment waiting list and is likely to be much higher on that one than the other. However a place is never guaranteed and timing would be an issue. If you move after October but before March, you run the risk of being classed as a late applicant so having your application dealt with after all the others and not getting any of the schools you listed. If you move after March, you need to be quick because the initial rush of waiting list movement slows and sometimes stops towards the end of summer so there is a very small window to move, prove it and be placed on the in catchment list before places on that list start to go.
Gee

Post by Gee »

I have similar questions as sammy. Why if we move after October and before March, it would considered as late applications? Don't really understand that part. Many thanks.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

I would email the school admissions team, in particular to ask how a waitlist will operate if you move house. Do not assume that it will operate the same way for each school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now