CGP 11 + Practice Book

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
new malden mum

CGP 11 + Practice Book

Post by new malden mum »

Hi
The recommended time for the Section A of Assessment Test papers of the CGP 11+practice book (10-11)-CEM style is only 10 minutes. My son is finding it difficult to finish the 30 questions in 10 minutes? Are others having the same problem?
mu81

Re: CGP 11 + Practice Book

Post by mu81 »

Even I'm finding the same difficulty with my DS who is doing CGP 11+ maths practise book (9-10) as he is in Yr4 currently. Although he gets most answers right he struggles to finish it in the set time. Even I tried solving one Quick test (25 questions in 9 minutes) with him as I wanted to see if it's practical to complete the test in 9 minutes, but it took us 15 minutes :(.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

CEM tests are like that. No one expected to answer all the questions. It's how many correct answers which matters.

Speed will improve with practice, good reading and strong vocab.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

tiffinboys wrote:CEM tests are like that. No one expected to answer all the questions. It's how many correct answers which matters.

Speed will improve with practice, good reading and strong vocab.
+1

We found the recommended CGP papers timings quite unrealistic and focused on getting things right rather than the speed; DS would typically run out of time roughly 70% into the test paper and I told him not to worry. I still timed him, just to know whether his speed was gradually improving, but didn't make a big deal of it.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
mu81

Post by mu81 »

Thank you tiffinboys & PurpleDuck for your advise! I agree, I should focus on getting answers right and not worry too much about timing. May be I should see if time improves by repeatedly solving the same/similar test.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

mu81 wrote:Thank you tiffinboys & PurpleDuck for your advise! I agree, I should focus on getting answers right and not worry too much about timing. May be I should see if time improves by repeatedly solving the same/similar test.
No point in doing the same test time after time as DCs just end up memorising the answers, but practising similar tests should help. :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Don't do that. He will remember all the answers so it will not be a proper test. There is so much material available you could do a different test every day and still not get through it all before the exam.

His speed will pick up. I am always looking to shave the odd minute off the timing. Only when it is clear that nobody has finished do I relent and put it back on. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now