If your DD sat stage 2 of the Tiffin Girls' School exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jushy80

Re: If your DD sat stage 2 of the Tiffin Girls' School exam

Post by Jushy80 »

Stroller wrote:It’s not true to say that schools only offer places to those who rank them #1. That’s a myth, the schools don’t know the order in which you ranked them. You’ll be allocated the highest preference school on your list for which you qualify, or failing that the nearest one that still has a space.
The order of preference in which you list your schools is confidential. Schools are not told the preference order in which you have listed them.
 Each school listed on your application considers your child’s application against its admission criteria only and not according to the order of preference you put the school on your application. This guarantees that, for example, an application from a parent who has ranked the school as sixth preference is considered equally to an application where the school is ranked as first preference.
 If your child meets the admission criteria for more than one school, your home council will look at your preference order and you will be offered the highest preference school for which your child has met the admission criteria.
 If your home council is not able to offer your child a place at any of the schools you applied for, you will be offered, where possible, a place at another school.
Source: https://www.kingston.gov.uk/download/do ... e_2019.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Start within the allocations tool to see if there’s a way to change the priority order of your list. If you do that and rank TGS higher, that should put you on the waiting list. If you can’t see how to do that, contact your home borough and ask for instructions.
If only I'd realised this earlier. A lot of people say this about Tiffin. silly me.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

thebolds wrote:Thanks so much for this work - it is really helpful. Are there any figures on the breakdown of children from designated area versus inner area who are successful in applying following the new admissions arrangements? We are inner area but I am struggling to understand the benefit of taking 60 children who score above the 350th ranked place if this just reflects the population applying.
Coming back to this question, some related data has been released, although information about how many inner area applicants were offered a place is not available.
The numbers who registered and sat the Stage One test from an address registered as being in the Inner Area for Year 7 September entry are:
149 (2016),
147 (2017),
189 (2018),
184 (2019)
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1438352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

How come school would not know how many inner catchment children were offered place on 1st March and by start of the Academic year?

LA offers the place, but the school has to advise who is eligible under different criteria.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

That’s a good question, but not for me. :) Someone could use the same site to ask?
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I understand. :wink: :wink:
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

With mitasol’s help, this thread has now been updated to reflect the 2020 data. If your daughter will (hopefully?) join TGS year 7 in September 2021, please post on The Tiffin Girls’ School - 2021 allocations and waiting list thread.

kath001

Post by kath001 »

Excellent information @stroller, I wish we had similar information on Tiffins boys, any idea up to which WL number boys are offered place by Sep?
Dvine

Post by Dvine »

Checking the Tiffin Girls 2022 admission policy, it seems that girls in that live in the inner area could potentially have a large advantage. If I understand correctly you he way the prioritisation works means girls within the inner area only need to be above the 350th Mark for the second exam. That means they could very well have a much lower score than the cut-off pass Mark every talks about. Would you agree with this or am I misinterpreting the rules?

Thank you so much.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

The highest priorities for admissions - and I’m paraphrasing, but people should read the words in the admissions documents in full - are those with a “Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) which names The Tiffin Girls’ School specifically” and those who are or were Looked After Children and “whose mark in the Stage Two Test is higher than or equal to the 350th ranked mark of all applicants who sat the Stage Two Test.”

You’re referring to clause 47.2, which states:
47.2. Up to 60 girls whose mark in the Stage Two Test is higher than or equal to the 350th ranked mark of all applicants who sat the Stage Two Test in the following order of priority:
47.2.1. Girls whose permanent place of residence is within the Inner Area or within the Designated Area and who qualify for receipt of Pupil Premium Funding on the closing date to register for the Stage One Test (the ‘SIF Deadline’) then
47.2.2. Girls whose permanent place of residence is within the Inner Area.
47.2.3. In the event of there being more than 60 girls who are eligible under paragraph 47.2 and there is a tied-score to fill the 60th place, the place will be offered to the girl who lives nearest to the School (as measured in paragraph 48.4). If more than one girl is on the 60th score and all live the same distance from the school as measured in paragraph 48.4, the place will be allocated by random selection and this process will be independently verified
That’s followed by clause 47.3, which encompasses everyone else who sat the Stage Two test and whose permanent place of residence is within the designated area, followed - in the extremely unlikely event of spaces remaining - by those who sat Stage Two and live outside the designated area.

My view
The school is making an effort to help those with current or very recent pupil premium status, who sat Stage Two and scored-well-but-not-QUITE-high-enough, in recognition that some applicants have experienced more disadvantage in their lives than those who are competing with them. It’s an attempt to level the playing field and I commend the school for implementing it. That’s followed by a clause prioritising those living locally within the inner area, who presumably will have a shorter commute and more time to enjoy the full extent of what the school offers.

Although 60 such places are available, it’s perhaps unlikely that they will all be used. Some girls who are eligible for the pupil premium funding and/or who live in the inner area will score enough not to need the helping hand.

If you’d like to see the numbers for recent years, there’s a breakdown in the document at this link showing how many candidates were either pupil premium or inner area at each stage, though not specifying how many were assisted by the mark-of-the-350th-candidate-or-above clause.
https://www.tiffingirls.org/getattachme ... n-2018-20-(1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).pdf.aspx

The school determines the cut-off score as follows:
13. The Stage Two Test Mark (see paragraph 40) of the girl in the year group with the lowest score offered a place under paragraph 47.3 will be deemed to be the ‘cut-off score’ for that year group at the end of the 2022-23 academic year.

bridge

Post by bridge »

I think you should read para 18 to 24 carefully. That is what I suggested in the consultation. I was surprised at how low the response rate was but glad that it was included from the original proposal.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now