Nonsuch / Wallington Girls 2nd Stage Test (for 2017 Entry)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Goodheart

Nonsuch / Wallington Girls 2nd Stage Test (for 2017 Entry)

Post by Goodheart »

As I understand it, the consultation regarding combining the second stage admission tests for Nonsuch High School for Girls and Wallington High School for Girls (now that they're part of the same Multi-Academy Trust) didn't receive enough input for them to feel they that should make the change at this time. As a result, they'll retain separate second stage tests. I can't see any indication of this (which I heard third-hand) on the web site from either school - can any one else confirm this? It seems like an odd decision to me. (All I can find on-line is the proposed admission policy which still talks about the "Nonsuch and Wallington Education Trust (NWET) Second Stage Entrance Examination".

Also, I can see no indication of the date the second stage tests are scheduled this year (although they're likely to be on 1st and 8th October - assuming they remain separate - based upon previous years). Has anyone seen an official announcement of the date(s)?
PurpleDuck

Re: Nonsuch / Wallington Girls 2nd Stage Test (for 2017 Entr

Post by PurpleDuck »

I would imagine schools are still pre-occupied with sorting out the intake for September this year. The National Offer Day is 1st March, so they will probably start updating all information on their websites soon after that.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

I have nothing to do with either school, but they've proposed a direction of travel. Is a lack of objections not enough? Or must they have evidence that people are in favour of the change?
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

I have no idea how these things work, but I'd imagine it may depend on the wording of the objective of the consultation: was it to find evidence of support for a combined 2nd stage test, or identify objections against scrapping separate 2nd stage tests? I have no interest in these schools, either, but I'd imagine that most parents would prefer for the schools to keep their separate entrance tests. If someone's DD happens to have a bad day on one of the exam days, at least she gets a chance of another shot at it.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

I'm afraid in one sense the consultation is meaningless - the Trust will still put forward its own proposal. The consultation may inform them, but they don't have to be swayed by it. In reality the requirement to consult sets in place a timetable so that changes to admission policies can't be done on short notice.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

I went to the consultation meeting for parents prior to the multi academy trust being formed last summer. It seemed pretty concrete at that meeting they were planning to move to one second stage test for 2017 entry onwards. The draft policy stating that was still on the WHSG website last time I looked.
I agree there is no room for a child to have a bad day but that argument didn't stop the schools doing the SET so I'd imagine the plan is to go ahead still. It would make quite a cost saving across the two schools.
I'd also think that it would mean no scores given across the board because WHSG has not wanted scores known in the past.
I have no inside info these are just my thoughts so I could be completely wrong and it might be just like the last 2 years.
Goodheart

Post by Goodheart »

This may be old news to many, but I've just noticed that the result of the consultation has now been published. From the Nonsuch web site:
Nonsuch High School for Girls recently consulted widely in the local community and further afield on our admission arrangements. In total, we received 5 responses.

The Governors of the School recently considered the representations from all parties concerned and ratified the proposed changes.

The finalised Admissions Policy can now be viewed on the website. In summary, the main changes:
introduce a single second stage test common to both Nonsuch High School for Girls and Wallington High School for Girls;
• clarify how a candidate’s (for a place in the Sixth Form) Average Point Score (APS) will be calculated when some grades in August 2017 are alphabetic and some numeric;
• outline slight changes to qualifications criteria for study at sixth form level.

With reference to Other Special Circumstances (paragraph 12) we have, following consultation, made no changes to the policy.

The changes to admissions apply for entry to the School in September 2017.
So, the combined Nonsuch/Wallington Girls 2nd Stage Test will be in effect this coming October.