Wilsons results - please add comments here from the 1st

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
loopylou

Re: WILSON'S RESULTS - Please add comments here from the 1st

Post by loopylou »

I don't understand why Wilson's would want more people on their waiting list if historically they didn't have much movement on it?
They send these letters as standard every year.

Boys who are allocated a higher preference place are invited to have their names added to their second choice schools' waiting lists.
In part this might be a nice gesture to remind parents that a last minute change of heart is not impossible. Some parents for example only start to think about journey logistics when they actually get an offer and may realise another school would have been better.

More cynically perhaps, all schools want the top scoring candidates to pick them. That's not to say that they any less enthusiastic about boys on lower scores already on the lists - the tests are so tough that it is a given all of the boys through stage 2 are very bright. However if a top scoring candidate wants to pick them over another school, there's no harm in them reminding their parents that this is still possible.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

I think they all do it and have done for a while.
Three years ago we got Wilson's which was our first choice and letters from the other two.
Last year my dd got Wallington ( first choice) but we got a letter from Nonsuch asking us if we wanted to go on their waiting list ( second choice).
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Loopylou, Moon Unit, thank you for explaining this. We've made up our mind whatever they send to us now. :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
fifi kaan

Post by fifi kaan »

loopylou wrote:
I don't understand why Wilson's would want more people on their waiting list if historically they didn't have much movement on it?
They send these letters as standard every year.

Boys who are allocated a higher preference place are invited to have their names added to their second choice schools' waiting lists.
In part this might be a nice gesture to remind parents that a last minute change of heart is not impossible. Some parents for example only start to think about journey logistics when they actually get an offer and may realise another school would have been better.

More cynically perhaps, all schools want the top scoring candidates to pick them. That's not to say that they any less enthusiastic about boys on lower scores already on the lists - the tests are so tough that it is a given all of the boys through stage 2 are very bright. However if a top scoring candidate wants to pick them over another school, there's no harm in them reminding their parents that this is still possible.
@loopylou you have a point , this grammar school place is like winning lottery :lol:
ambitious mum

Post by ambitious mum »

Thank you purple duck. As you've said we too are very happy with our first choice.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

ambitious mum wrote:Thank you purple duck. As you've said we too are very happy with our first choice.
:D
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

It is worth noting that Wilsons has offered places to 218 boys, so there has to be over 38 rejections before any movement on the waitlist. And bizarrely Sutton Grammar appears to be undersubscribed by 2 boys (WCGS had similar problem last year).
Gee

Post by Gee »

Can they reject any student after they have been offered a place?
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

No. They just know that they will get a lot of rejections from people holding independent school places or realising that the journey is impossible. Because they always have over 40 rejections, they feel that they can over-offer by this amount safely without going over PAN. It causes less disruption in the rest of the system which is why Sutton allow it.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Somebody posted 2-3 days ago on Warwickshire thread that their allocated place was withdrawn because it was 'allocated in error', i.e. somebody ranking higher got overlooked and a lower ranking child got a place. That seems a different case from what Wilson's do, though. ...
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 37&t=46268" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now