Wilsons results - please add comments here from the 1st

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
4mykids

Re: WILSON'S RESULTS - Please add comments here from the 1st

Post by 4mykids »

TwoDownTwoToGo wrote:Hi we got our first choice Wilsons. We are super proud of our son.

However, having spoken to a lot of parents since 31st October, we have had to ask ourselves if we made the right preference order. We started leaning towards Sutton grammar in the run up to offers day.

The journey to both schools is pretty much the same. Train ride to Sutton or a train ride to Waddon but I hear there is a further bus ride from Waddon to get to Wilsons and only a short walk to Sutton /grammar. I know both schools are excellent.

We are going to accept the Wilson's offer but am wondering whether its worth going on the Sutton waiting list.

Is there anyone here who can offer some advice?

Thanks
Personally, I wouldn’t base your decision purely on the journey from the train station. This will in reality be an insignificant aspect of your son’s time at the school for the next seven years.

Look at other aspects of the schools and the reasons you made you original choice; school ethos, facilities, strengths and weaknesses, the feel you got when you looked around etc.

Is the train journey the only thing that’s making you reconsider?
janjanamma

Post by janjanamma »

DS got Wilson's, our first choice.

Thanks for all the support & Best wishes to everyone :D
TwoDownTwoToGo

Post by TwoDownTwoToGo »

Thanks for your reply.
To be honest its only one reason, I have spoken to parents at Sutton and they have told me that Sutton has very good pastoral care whereas I've been told that Wilson's is all about the results and is exam driven.

Given the nature of my son, very laid back, jokey I'm worried Wilson will be too rigid
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

There was quite a bit of discussion about SGS vs. Wilson's on this forum back in September/October, shame you didn't pick up on that. I'm sure there are boys who got SGS while Wilson's was their first choice and in an ideal world it would be just a question of 'swapping' the two boys, but in reality it is likely to be quite a bit more complicated than this. Have you tried speaking to both schools and asking for their advice? They might be able to suggest the best course of action. I wouldn't tell them the actual reason for changing your mind, though. I hope it work out for your DS.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

There is no harm in asking SGS where you would fall if put on the waiting list - as the schools have different tests as well as different means of prioritising offers, at this point you won't know for certain whether your son's mark for SGS would be close enough for an offer. So that would be the first piece of information that you would need. You could ask both schools for the option of another visit - it may not be an option, but it is worth asking. You can definitely ask for the school's behaviour policy - it should be on the website. This will give you a flavour of the differences between the schools. And as Purpleduck says, I seem to remember a more detailed comparison of these schools at the end of last year.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Just wanted to add that we feel the pastoral care at Wilson's is excellent. Mr Walters who is head of year 7 and key stage 3 is absolutely on top of everything, very caring and really knows the boys very well. Couldn't fault that side of things.
I drive past the school each day ( don't drop my son off as its more fun on the bus).
The boys come out of Waddon station in large numbers. Cross the road and go to the 154/157 bus stop. It's then four stops to school which I think is about five mins by bus.
At the end of the school day a member of the SLT is at each bus stop and sees the boys onto the buses.
We don't feel it's exam driven but they are expected to work hard. The emphasis seems to be much more on effort than results,but of course the two are linked. They have frequent tests but no different from my daughter at WHSG.
We know lots of children at all the different Sutton grammars and all seem pleased with their choices. Don't think you will regret whatever you decide.
Good luck.
NiksMum

Post by NiksMum »

Hi

Just curious to know what kind of induction / transfer to Yr7 do Wilsons offer in the run up to the boys starting in September? Do the boys have a day at the school? Is there an opportunity for parents to meet other parents?
4mykids

Post by 4mykids »

NiksMum wrote:Just curious to know what kind of induction / transfer to Yr7 do Wilsons offer in the run up to the boys starting in September? Do the boys have a day at the school? Is there an opportunity for parents to meet other parents?
From memory:

Early June - Year 7 parents’ information evening.
Early July - Induction day for the boys.
End of summer holidays - optional “sport week” (3 days) where the boys can try different sports and meet their peers.
First few days of the term - induction days. Quite relaxed. All boys in year 7 are taught to play a musical instrument. Part of their induction includes trying a number of different instruments to help decide which one they would like to learn.
Late September - Year 7 social evening for parents to meet each other.
Mid October - Short meeting with Form tutor to see how your son is settling in.

Once you’ve accepted the school place you should receive a pack containing all the appropriate information.
fifi kaan

Post by fifi kaan »

Hi, my DS got his second choice wallington grammar I should be happy but for some reason I am not because my first choice was Wilson's.
I was told he will be on Wilson's waiting list automatically my worry is where he is on the list ? How does waiting list work ? will he get an offer ?
This forum is very helpful for mums like me everyone here is has lots of information to share. I enjoy reading the posts helped me tremendously get through 11plus
Big congratulations to all mums here who got their desired school.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Unfortunately you will need to wait for a few weeks to find this out from Wilson's. There is usually a lot of movement this week and early next as independent schools offers are firmed up, but in a fortnight you will be able to ring and find out where your son is on the waitlist. In the meantime WCGS will be in touch to start their induction process, and this will be a good time to get to know that school as well.