Special arrangements

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
WParkMum

Special arrangements

Post by WParkMum »

Does anyone have any experience of special arrangements? As the whole 11 plus process is not very transparent, I wondered whether any element of conscious or sub-conscious bias would creep in and impact negatively on a candidate who had special arrangements, particularly if they had a borderline score (in Stage 2). What do others think?
tiffinboys

Re: Special arrangements

Post by tiffinboys »

Quite a vague query. If you have any specific issue, then ask about it clearly.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

WParkMum wrote:Does anyone have any experience of special arrangements? As the whole 11 plus process is not very transparent, I wondered whether any element of conscious or sub-conscious bias would creep in and impact negatively on a candidate who had special arrangements, particularly if they had a borderline score (in Stage 2). What do others think?
The results are all processed by computer, which wouldn't know about any special arrangement, I would have thought, the scores are just inserted into a computer programme.
scary mum
WParkMum

Post by WParkMum »

scary mum wrote:
WParkMum wrote:Does anyone have any experience of special arrangements? As the whole 11 plus process is not very transparent, I wondered whether any element of conscious or sub-conscious bias would creep in and impact negatively on a candidate who had special arrangements, particularly if they had a borderline score (in Stage 2). What do others think?
The results are all processed by computer, which wouldn't know about any special arrangement, I would have thought, the scores are just inserted into a computer programme.
Thank you. Yes, I think that would be the case for Stage 1, but not Stage 2, where I think the results would have to be marked by people.

I just didn't know if it would be held against the candidate in some way if they had special arrangements, e.g. extra time. This may sound a bit conspiracy theorist but I just wanted to get thoughts from the forum.
WParkMum

Post by WParkMum »

tiffinboys wrote:Quite a vague query. If you have any specific issue, then ask about it clearly.
Hope my response to Scary Mum makes my query clearer.
rocky

Post by rocky »

WParkMum wrote:
scary mum wrote:
Thank you. Yes, I think that would be the case for Stage 1, but not Stage 2, where I think the results would have to be marked by people.

I just didn't know if it would be held against the candidate in some way if they had special arrangements, e.g. extra time. This may sound a bit conspiracy theorist but I just wanted to get thoughts from the forum.
If a candidate has been given extra time to complete an exam because they have special arrangements, there will be no bias. There is strict governance on who gets a special arrangement and documentary evidence will need to be supplied for this to be granted. Where special arrangements are granted it will ensure candidates get a fair chance.
rocky

Post by rocky »

WParkMum wrote:
scary mum wrote:

If a candidate has been given extra time to complete an exam because they have special arrangements, there will be no bias. There is strict governance on who gets a special arrangement and documentary evidence will need to be supplied for this to be granted. Where special arrangements are granted it will ensure candidates get a fair chance.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Markers would not know of the special arrangements. They could only mark the script in front of them, whether completed in normal time allowed, or using extra time or with help from writing helper etc.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now