About Sutton schools waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JoMum2005

About Sutton schools waiting list

Post by JoMum2005 »

Can anyone share from their past experience approximately how many children get clear of waiting list and secure a place in school. I want to know about Wilson, Wallington and Sutton Grammar schools. My son is on a waiting list in these schools and we are praying he gets in one of them. He has passed all schools but we are out of catchment area.
PurpleDuck

Re: About Sutton schools waiting list

Post by PurpleDuck »

Hi JoMum,

Sorry your son didn't get an offer of a place.

According to admissions criteria for 2016 published on the schools' websites, Sutton grammars don't have 'proper' catchment areas as such - Sutton Grammar offers just the first 75 places to local boys, Wallington 15 and Wilson's have a preference for local children only in a case of a tie. When it comes to waiting lists, places are offered according to rank order and when a choice has to be made between two boys who have scored the same, the deciding factor will be how far from school those boys live.

Wilson's always over-offer, so you are probably more likely go get an offer from a waiting list at SGS or Wallington. With both these schools, it will depend on whether other waiting list boys live further away than you. How far out of Sutton/Croydon do you live? Do you know your position on the waiting lists yet?
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
JoMum2005

Post by JoMum2005 »

Thanks Purpleduck

My son had initially not cleared Sutton Grammar but just a few days back we received a letter from them stating that he is now deemed qualified and they would be happy to have him on their waiting list. We have also sent a yes to it. When asked them on 16th March his status on waiting list the lady said 35 and she said it's too early to say anything And she was sounding like he would be a borderline case. So we are hoping. In Wallington has a long queue as he was at that time on around 56 I guess. Wilson never gave his status just asked if we wish to be on reserve list. Well we have said yes to all. So can just pray
JoMum2005

Post by JoMum2005 »

Oh BTW Purpleduck we live far off. We are near Hounslow. But we are open to relocation. Currently he has got a place in Herschel Grammar School in Slough. In any case we will have to think of relocating. But as our first preferences are Sutton schools we are hoping he gets in one of them.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

From what I know, Wilson's have not disclosed waiting list positions to anyone yet; I was told they were going to let people know after Easter as some point. The over-offered by 38 places, apparently usually go down a few on a waiting list, so your DS might have a chance if he is just below the pass mark. It will all depend on how many boys choose independent schools over Wilson's. Looks Sutton Grammar is the most likely to work out for you - I hope it does. Fingers crossed!
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
JoMum2005

Post by JoMum2005 »

Yeah fingers crossed! Thank you so much Purpleduck :)
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

JoMum2005 wrote:..... We are near Hounslow. But we are open to relocation. Currently he has got a place in Herschel Grammar School in Slough. In any case we will have to think of relocating. But as our first preferences are Sutton schools we are hoping he gets in one of them.
Hi JoMum2005

Please don't think I am being nasty and having a dig, but please consider these questions

1. What are the benefits of the Sutton Schools over Herschel Grammar School?
2. Do these benefits outweigh the inconvenience of moving?
3. If you have younger children, what impact will the move have on them,what happens if they don't make it into the Sutton Grammars, will you move again?

Good luck on whatever you decide.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

JoMum,

Somehow I didn't see your reply about were you lived before - Hounslow is a long way out and would mean a tiring commute. Google maps tells me there is a train at 6:46 am, getting to Clapham Junction at 7.13 am, your DS would then have to change trains to get a 7.22am to arrive at Sutton at 7.44am. Then it's just a 10 mins walk to school (depending on how quickly your DS choses to walk :wink: ). I don't know how far from Hounslow station you live, but would that mean your DS would need to leave the house around 6.30am?

I think it would be a good idea to take advantage of the Easter break and do a practice run with your DS on a weekday, at the same time as he would have to travel to school, to help you decide whether he would be able to put up with a daily commute. Just bear in mind that during the Easter break trains are likely to be a bit less busy than they would typically be during term-time and I have no idea whether your DS would be able to have a seat on the train, or whether he would be standing all the way to school...

Here is a Google maps link if it may be helpful:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Houns ... 806400!3e3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

As jomum mentioned before, they have to relocate anyway - whether it is Herschel (that too some way away in Slough) or some grammar school in Sutton. So Good Luck to them for Sutton schools as those are their higher preference.

Waiting lists have started to move in some schools.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

tiffinboys wrote:As jomum mentioned before, they have to relocate anyway - whether it is Herschel (that too some way away in Slough) or some grammar school in Sutton. So Good Luck to them for Sutton schools as those are their higher preference.

Waiting lists have started to move in some schools.
Yes, I've just noticed that - that would be the ideal solution. I should read the posts more carefully... :oops: And good luck, indeed.