The books we used for preparing 11+ (NVR is omitted from the list as not needed for Tiffin). This is apart from the basics needed for maths and English papers.
Tiffin stage 1 has VR in it.
• Schofield and Sims mental mathematics 4 &5
• 11plus exams Numerical reasoning BOOK 1 & 2
11+ Essentials comprehension BOOK 1 & 2
• 11 plus exams CLOZE tests book 1 &2
• GL multiple choice Maths 1 &2
• GL multiple choice English 1 &2
• CGP English 11 plus practice and assessment
• CGP Maths 11 plus practice and assessment
• CGP 11+ Practice Tests for the CEM Test - Pack 1
• CGP 11+ Practice Tests for the CEM Test - Pack 2
• CGP 11+ Practice Tests for the CEM Test - Pack 3
• BOND 11 plus VR Assessment papers 1 &2
• BOND 11 plus Maths Assessment papers 1 &2
• BOND 11 plus English Assessment papers 1 &2
• IPS Eleven Plus Mathematics Papers: 10 Mathematics Papers
• Athey Test Pack 6 - English STANDARD VERSION
• Bond 11+ practice papers, Maths pack 1, standard version
• Bond 11+ practice papers, Maths pack 2, standard version,
• Bond 11+ practice papers, English pack 1, standard version
• Bond 11+ practice papers, English pack 2, standard version,
for Tiffin stage 2: KS2 Sats papers in English (2012 and before from http://www.satspapers.org.uk/Page.aspx?TId=5
) specially because it is prepared by NFER (who previously made 11+ papers. defiantly look for their marking scheme. Others have recommended some more. check the forums
Creative writing: collected the following from various posts by 11+ forum members
For creative writing, the topics set for 11+ essays tend to have the same common themes, and it is worth having a “stock” story that can be used in each of these settings:
• Being lost, scared or alone
• Doing something exciting or achieving something (’the best day of my life was . . . ’)
• Taking a holiday
• Having an adventure
• Being in a city or in the countryside
These are topics that have come up on past 11+ papers around the country, with a few additional titles contributed by various 11+ Forum members:
• A surprising spy
• Break time at school
• Write a story about a lost key
• Is life too hectic to enjoy fully?
• My favourite memories
• A farewell party
• An attempted robbery
• It was a while before I realised my cat could talk
• Moving Houses
• I don’t know what that noise was …..
• The new pupils
• The storm
• The Burglary
• My Brilliant Idea
• Visiting Relatives
• The Balloon
• The school rules
• A place that inspires you
• Your favourite day out
• Are Jamie Oliver’s new school dinners a good idea.
• What makes a good friend?
• Describe the scene and the activities at a bus station.
• What are your reactions to discipline? How far is it necessary both at home and at school?
• How does the life of your generation differ from that of your grandparents?
• Discuss the good and bad effects of competition in modern life
• Is life too hectic to enjoy fully?
Typical Essay Titles
• Write a story with Alone as the title, where you suddenly realise that you are on your own. It may be true or entirely made up, but it should include your thoughts and feelings as well as what happened. (Question from Merchant Taylor School , Northwood, London )
• Write a story (true or made up) about a visit you make to some relations of your own. (Question from Merchant Taylor School , Northwood, London )
• Write a letter
to a cousin inviting him to stay with you. You should try and interest him in some of the varied and unusual activities he can take part in. (Question from Merchant Taylor School , Northwood, London )
• Describe a situation which you have experienced which might also be called A Magical Moment, showing what your thoughts and feelings are. (Question from Merchant Taylor School , Northwood, London )
• Write a clear description of an animal you know well. Make sure you describe what it does and how it behaves as well as what it looks like. (Question from Merchant Taylor School , Northwood, London )
• I prefer Winter to Spring ( Dulwich College , London )
• The door and what was behind it ( Dulwich College , London ) ( Sounds familiar
: Tiffin stage 2--2015 --a picture of an eye ( man )looking through a hole in the wall ?? at you .)
• The prince of Darkness is a Gentleman ( Dulwich College , London )
• Ash on an old man’s sleeve ( Dulwich College , London )
• My hobby ( Emanuel College , London )
• Write a story that begins with the words, I had been waiting for such a long time for this to happen ( Emanuel College , London )
• Write a description of someone you admire. (You may choose someone you actually know, or someone you have never met. Describe them and explain why you admire them.) ( Emmanuel College , London )
This list for creative writing is created from the contribution of 11 plus forums members. I digged it from all over this forum and hope it will come handy to other parents and their DC's who are preparing for Stage 2 papers in coming year.