Tiffin Girls Appeals - Remarking

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
curiousman

Tiffin Girls Appeals - Remarking

Post by curiousman »

My dd had good marks in Maths but she had poor scores in writing whereas, she has always done very well in Reading / Writing and did say she wrote well during Tiffins entrance test. I understand that the scores and performance can vary by the day; yet there would remain always a chance that the person who does the marking brings their own prejudice and preferences as regards what constitutes good writing.

I am also aware this is something none of us can help.

However, given where we are, can the appeals process in Tiffins include an appeal to re-marking? Can we get the marked paper of our daughter released by the school using Freedom of Information?

My daughter had excellent results in Wallington and Nonsuch and is unlikely to say "the paper went well" when if it had not.

I am happy for her to join either Nonsuch or Wallington, yet, I want to understand how exactly do they score in Tiffins.
Last edited by curiousman on Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drvs

Re: Tiffin Girls Appeals - Remarking

Post by drvs »

in the same boat curiousman :(
curiousman

Post by curiousman »

drvs wrote:in the same boat curiousman :(
Given that there are few posts in these forums, I am suspecting, quality of marking in Tiffins on Writing is suspect. In all honesty, it is hard to believe, since my DD has been in top of her class in her current school, which itself is top independent school.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

If you go through the appeal section, there is good guide about the evidence needed for a strong appeal. I think that a very high score in SATs and English tests of other grammars would be helpful. Etaine/Sally Anne would give good advice about appeals. Good Luck.

TGS English marking is always considered very strict and also note that rarely an appeal has been successful at both Tiffin schools. Seems like one would need very good education law solicitor with strong local knowledge. One such solicitor recently advertised about a successful appeal from OOC candidate for Tiffin. :roll: :roll:
curiousman

Post by curiousman »

tiffinboys wrote:
TGS English marking is always considered very strict and also note that rarely an appeal has been successful at both Tiffin schools. Seems like one would need very good education law solicitor with strong local knowledge. One such solicitor recently advertised about a successful appeal from OOC candidate for Tiffin. :roll: :roll:
Honestly, I have difficulty buying the argument of strict marking, when all we have is standardized / relative score. If it is low, then it will be low for all girls, so dd will still stand out.

Frankly, I do not have much preference for Tiffins as I would rather have my dd top in Nonsuch than be average in Tiffins. So I am not really looking to hire a solicitor, just a good prolong argument with the marking person will help satisfy the hurt ego. :D :D :D
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Nonsuch is also a good school and am sure that your DD would thrive there.

As for TGS, you could ask for raw scores and the scaling method. I recall, school had given such information after 2012 tests. It would be nice if you post this information if school responds and provides this information.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

I don't know how much they will give you, but it is worth trying to get a breakdown of marks by paper.

There is a potential problem with big mark essay type questions, in that if the question is misread, then might write a great piece, and think you have done well, but score virtually nothing as it is irrelevant to what was asked. I wonder if this could have happened, seems possible if mark is inconsistent with other exams.

Clearly where there are lots of small questions, if you muck one up, overall score isn't damaged much.

I would suggest looking at the appeals section and ploughing through the many threads of useful advice on there.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Llam, another parent who was shocked at the writing score, said here "There will be no chance to ask for a re-score; that is clear from their letter. And I respect that."

I haven't seen the letter, but it sounds definitive. Anyone willing to post the exact words? About 200 families received it, so don't worry, you're not identifying yourself by posting it.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

curiousman wrote:My dd had good marks in Maths but she had poor scores in writing whereas, she has always done very well in Reading / Writing and did say she wrote well during Tiffins entrance test.
curiousman, what did she score overall? Is she close to the cutoff? I remember you were concerned about her maths because she left out 7 questions out of 50 in the stage 2 test. Did that have much of an impact on her maths score? I'm asking because writing is "only" 30% of the total, so in theory she might still have nearly pulled through if she scored okay in the reading and maths.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
curiousman

Post by curiousman »

Stroller, you are exactly right, although she scored 25.5 in maths, which from other posters seems quite ok. In most tests she covers her low maths scores with good scores in English. In tiffin opposite has happened, writing she got 8 point something and reading she had 14 point something. This is baffling, to say the least. Overall 48 plus.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now