Kingston/Surrey Grammars: Advice please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sandra

Kingston/Surrey Grammars: Advice please

Post by sandra »

Need some advice please!!! We currently live in Reading, therefore I would like to check if my DS will be able to write exams for any of the schools in the list above and then move in, if he scores well enough to get through?

I do not want him to take exams if he doesn't stand a chance based on our current location; so would appreciate if anyone can pass any info on this pl?

Thanks in advance
tiffinboys

Re: Kingston/Surrey Grammars: 2016 test dates for 2017 entry

Post by tiffinboys »

Best if you first read the admission arrangements of the schools in which you are interested.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

tiffinboys wrote:Best if you first read the admission arrangements of the schools in which you are interested.
Can save you a bit of time, though - Newstead Wood and Henrietta Barnett are girls' schools :D

Some of the schools are on completely opposite sides of London from each other, so that should save you some looking as well, since if one area is sensible for your DS to get to, others definitely won't be.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

sandra wrote:Need some advice please!!! We currently live in Reading, therefore I would like to check if my DS will be able to write exams for any of the schools in the list above and then move in, if he scores well enough to get through?
Please make sure you double check the admissions rules re. permanent address at the time of applying. Last year, Sutton schools' results were available about a week or so before the CAF deadline; Sutton Grammar and Wilsons' have rules regarding priority given to certain postcodes - would you be able to move (or at least complete the contract) into a priority postcode area within a week?
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
sandra

Post by sandra »

One week is a bit tight isn't it?
How about QE Barnet and Tiffin (boys), do we have to be in the catchment when we apply for exams or is there a time scale to move in once we know the results?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

QE doesn't currently have a catchment.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

sandra wrote:One week is a bit tight isn't it?
How about QE Barnet and Tiffin (boys), do we have to be in the catchment when we apply for exams or is there a time scale to move in once we know the results?
Can't comment on QE, but for Tiffin you can register for the exams regardless of where you live. As far as I am aware, you can enter your DS for an 11+ exam for any school you want, regardless of where you live, but many of them will have rules in their admissions policies effectively preventing you from getting a place (such as formal catchment areas or priority postcodes - the places in those schools will simply fill up before it gets to children who live further away). For Tiffin, even if your DS is successful in his exams, he will be very unlikely to be offered a place unless you are within a 14 km radius from the school. This is why it's worth reading the fine print in the admisssions policies documents, usually posted on schools' websites.

Some school will require a candidate to live at a particular address for a given duration of time before applying, some don't mind and just go by the address at the time of the CAF submission, some allow a change of address until some point in December, I think - it can very quite a lot.

The timing of the exams results availability for Sutton grammars and the deadline for the CAF submission (30 October) is such that there is very little time to do anything between the result are made available and the deadline. Tiffin's stage 2 is in November, so you will not know your son's results when you submit the CAF.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
sandra

Post by sandra »

Many thanks.

Would anyone be able to give advice on the best mock tests for those sitting CEM (Berks/Bucks) please?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I don't know about Berkshire, but for Bucks most people don't sit mocks - the familiarisation tests sat just before the exam are considered enough as most of them take the tests in their own schools so it isn't such a different & scary experience.
Where do you live, Sandra? You seem to be asking about a lot of different areas. Note that many exams are on the same day & may share results anyway, but beware of dragging your child around the country sitting multiple tests if they have no chance of getting admission. It can be very stressful for them to know that where their family is going to relocate to is dependent on them passing an exam at the age of 10 (not to mention exhausting).
scary mum
sandra

Post by sandra »

Thanks.
You are right, I do not want my DS to write many exams and hence researching and ruling out tests if there is not point in taking them.
I live in Berkshire towards Reading - so, probably my DS will sit only Berks and Bucks but wanted to make informed decisions as my knowledge regarding school catchment is currently limited.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now