Tiffin Girls First Stage

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

workingmom

Tiffin Girls First Stage

Post by workingmom »

@tiffinboys - As had mentioned on the Sutton Mock thread that have a few further questions, thus starting this thread...

Tiffin Girls mention in their FAQ the below
The Stage One Test will be multiplechoice style tests for English and maths. The marks of the Stage One Test will be standardised and age-weighted.

Apart from above, there is no view to any sample papers, nor they have mentioned if they are CEM or not.

My daughter is working through the GL Packs which consists of a comprehension section, with Spellings, Punctuation and later Grammer. She is doing quite well in this. However, Sutton Paper B did not quite suggest that. Wondering if working thru these packs in enough for Tiffins First Stage or is there something else we can work on.

I know I have referenced this question to @tiffinboys, but this is due to previous conversations on another thread, if any of you have a view on my question, kindly share.

Thank you all for your suggestions and help.
tiffinboys

Re: Tiffin Girls First Stage

Post by tiffinboys »

Tiffins do not disclose who prepares the stage 1 papers for them. My feel is that these are more like GL. However, as you may already know, CEM VR is more like an English paper with much emphasis on vocabulary, it pays to do CEM VR practice papers as well.

Hopefully, some expert may give more insight. Ladymuck perhaps.....
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

This is standard Tiffin Girls style. They don't like to disclose, and change the tests regularly to try and stop some candidates from learning to pass a specific test, rather than be tested against others.

Try a variety of tests for 11+ and 12+ as it will help whatever questions they chose to test on the day. Exam paper could even be partly made up with assortment of questions from various papers from last few years.

The test is to rank candidates and thus would be useless if everyone did well with similar marks. Expect the questions to be aimed about high level 5 to level 6 (even though that is tough on a 10 year old) who is probably top level 4 or low level 5 at their primary school.

However tough it is, the pass mark is effectively determined by other candidates, since part 2 tests have started, have looked at about 450 taking that. Of those (my guess of numbers) about 300 will be eligible for a place (180 vacancies and 120 choose another school).

In a way it is now easier to get in nowadays as there are 180 places (until 2012 were only 120 places), and upto 2013 was no distance restrictions. So used to be less places and wider pool of applicants.
workingmom

Post by workingmom »

Thank you snowdaddy.

I believe with Maths one can tell if the problem given is level 5 or 6.
Judging English with keeping the levels in mind, is tricky.
keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Hi All,

Please can someone clarify whether the VR - Coding type questions (AB:CD..) will be part of Tiffin First stage?

Many Thanks in advance.
keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Hi,

Anyone, Please can you clarify.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Not likely as per previous year.
keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Thanks Tiffinboys...

Based on my understanding that it will be only English and Maths, we have not given any attention to the VR techniques or done any practice on any other material, Hope the trend of not having VR for TGS continues this year also.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

I would still prepare for vocabulary questions - not so much codes, anagrams etc but synonyms and antonyms are still likely to be useful. No direct Tiffin experience but the Sutton SET (ie round 1) test certainly had questions coming from the Level 6 SPAG papers, so I would use resources at that level for English.
keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Thanks Ladymuck
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now