Tiffin Boys Stage 1 - 04 Oct.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Strix

Tiffin Boys Stage 1 - 04 Oct.

Post by Strix »

I just want to wish everyone taking the stage 1 test on Tuesday GOOD LUCK!

We were there last year. A lot of work. A lot of stress. A lot of waiting (for offer day). All worth it!
Wimbles

Re: Tiffin Boys Stage 1 - 04 Oct.

Post by Wimbles »

Strix would be interested in knowing whether you're happy with the school?

We just missed the grade by a few points on SEt so concentrating our efforts on Tiffin now.
Strix

Post by Strix »

Positively delighted. It's early days of course. But so far I couldn't be happier. Oh, except maybe for the ugly blazer. But I hold onto the hope that it can only be character building.
Wimbles

Post by Wimbles »

Thanks Strix - good to know.

If you can provide any insight on my Maths query poster above that would be fab.

I keep reading the exams were really time-pressured? Many didn't finish?
Strix

Post by Strix »

Sorry, what's maths query poster?

Just asked my son if a lot didn't finish last year and he replied "I don't know. Some didn't". I don't suppose that is very helpful.
Wimbles

Post by Wimbles »

Sorry I meant 'posted'. I was just asking how the test differed to the SET.

I haven't had a response to it. Were there a lot of questions in the time - usually I think it is about 50?

Any help appreciated!
Strix

Post by Strix »

We didn't do SET so can't compare. I think there were about 50 questions. Mostly straight forward arithmetic (i.e. Fractions). A few word problems. A few shapes. Know your triangles (scalene, angles, how to calculate the sides, etc.).
Strix

Post by Strix »

Of course, it is worth noting that this years test might not be like last year's and I could be leading you astray.

Do you know how many boys are sitting the test this year? Last year was circa 1800. The competition is crazy. We need more of these schools for the masses who cannot afford private.

My son's advice is to sit down, focus on the test in front of you, pretend no one else is there. And then tell yourself it's not the real test, just a practise exam.

Some other advise: make sure you use the toilet between exams, don't bring a salty snack (because it will make you drink more and you risk needing a wee in middle of next test), read the questions CAREFULLY.
Wimbles

Post by Wimbles »

Thanks so much! That's very helpful! We've covered all the basics, and hopefully knocked any remaining weaknesses on the head!

Yes, we do need more schools like this!

Nerves are big issue. We were SGS for SET which was crazy enough. Hoping Tiffin are well-organised for this test.
pii

Post by pii »

Hi Wimbles,
best of luck for tiffin exam. maths was hard according to my son and he could not finish it but still put the answers in the answer sheet. Anyway, he passed the first stage and second stage test had 2 English papers and 1 maths.English being his forte he excelled the second stage.

Hi Strix , I agree with you on the ugly blazer. But this is what sets them apart from other schools. Top 8-10% of the boys chosen from 80+ feeder schools. DCs take a real pride in being Tiffinian.

just read that tiffin stage 2 has changed now . For us stage 1 was only for sifting but now it counts a bit towards stage 2

from FAQ
"The Combined Score will comprise 10% each of English and Maths from Stage One, 40% each of English and Maths from Stage Two.The Combined Score will be used to rank all those who take the Stage Two tests. Those in the Priority
Area are all ranked above those outside the Priority Area."
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now