Tiffin Girls - 1st Stage Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dadathome

Re: Tiffin Girls - 1st Stage Results

Post by dadathome »

Thanks, pii, that's really encouraging to know!
kmf123

Post by kmf123 »

So DD got 195 :?
she is october born
can someone explain the result to me, how bad is that?!
just want to have some knowledge for her when i break the news

thanks
mrsnoname

Post by mrsnoname »

kmf123 - we're in a similar position, but we just cannot accept that DD scored lower in her English than in maths. She has been tutored and did a few mock tests always scoring around 85% or higher. English was simply never an issue for her. Coming out of the exam she was very happy with the English paper literally sailing through it, even had time to check, she said. Looking at her result now it simply does not make sense! I feel sick to the stomach thinking that she may have mismarked her answers on the answer sheet (i.e. marking answers in the wrong order)... or missed out pages...

I read on another thread that some of the boys had issues with pages stuck together in their exam paper and someone else marked correct answers in the wrong boxes.

Could somebody pls confirm how many questions there were in English?
kmf123

Post by kmf123 »

hi mrsnoname,

my daughter said there were 40 questions in English and 50 in maths.
apparently in English there were lots of random questions, general knowledge rather than vocab etc..

I would have expected my daughter to do better in maths than English, which she did (105 maths, 90 english), so her results aren't surprising.

She also informed me, and has been confirmed by someone else in the dining hall sitting, that they did not do any run through of how to answer the questions on the sheet (although it says they would on the FAQ). Those sitting at the back of the dining hall also didn't hear the teacher telling them to start in the maths paper.
mrsnoname

Post by mrsnoname »

Thank you for getting back to me. Interestingly, our DD was also in the dining hall.

We sent an email to the school and are waiting/hoping to hear back. We are very concerned as this is so out of character. I know some parents here may raise an eyebrow reading this.... but you just know your own child.
GiveItYourAll

Post by GiveItYourAll »

My dd actually told me that there were 98 questions in English and 50 in Maths.
Danae

Post by Danae »

Hi mrsnoname,
Similar situation with my daughter. Scored badly and didn't pass. MY dd was in the dining hall too. After the exam she came out happy and confident. Finished early and had time to check thoroughly the English paper. Found Maths bit more challenging but had time to go back and check too. She is confused and angry with the results and her wish is just to see the papers. She feels physically sick for 2 days now. I tried to make her to accept she only had a bad day but You KNOW your child. She is too strong in English, her Maths level is already 7 and personality wise is a very grounded girl who simply said:" I know mummy, it's not the end of the world but I also know how I did in the exam"... It's all very confusing.
I called the school but of course they never release papers. Hope you have better luck with them and keep me posted.
All the best
Danae

Post by Danae »

Danae wrote:Hi mrsnoname,
Similar situation with my daughter. Scored badly and didn't pass. MY dd was in the dining hall too. After the exam she came out happy and confident. Finished early and had time to check thoroughly the English paper. Found Maths bit more challenging but had time to go back and check too. She is confused and angry with the results and her wish is just to see the papers. She feels physically sick for 2 days now. I tried to make her to accept she only had a bad day but You KNOW your child. She is too strong in English, her Maths level is already 7 and personality wise is a very grounded girl who simply said:" I know mummy, it's not the end of the world but I also know how I did in the exam"... It's all very confusing.
I called the school but of course they never release papers. Hope you have better luck with them and keep me posted.
All the best
mrsnoname wrote:Thank you for getting back to me. Interestingly, our DD was also in the dining hall.

We sent an email to the school and are waiting/hoping to hear back. We are very concerned as this is so out of character. I know some parents here may raise an eyebrow reading this.... but you just know your own child.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now