Last year's SET 2015 for WCGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Wimbles

Re: Last year's SET 2015 for WCGS

Post by Wimbles »

Thanks and many congrats on getting Wilsons!

streathamum that's what I'm struggling with. Two 60% shouldn't be enough. Also the marks the poster gave in her earlier post don't add up to 212 or 214. I'm sure they are correct, it's all just a mystery...which it shouldn't be given how vital this all this.

As I said earlier given that my son failed by about 0.6 of a point on SET any insight on the above points from anyone would be appreciated. How you even get to decimal points with the standardisation is beyond me.
Slugterra mum

Post by Slugterra mum »

They restandardise the SET scores against the cohort that took the second stage.

So where a boy might have been the top 40% of those taking the SET, he might be in the bottom 40% of those taking the second stage.
Tonkscat

Post by Tonkscat »

Hi there, first post so please be kind :)

Another one trying to figure out chances for WCGS (congrats by the way, HSP)

He passed SET but failed Sutton and Wilsons.

Sutton fail-letter said
(standardised)

60% SET English 100 )
60% SET Maths 69.18 ) so these are presumaby his WCGS marks unless they've somehow been re-standardised during Second Stage Process

90% Sec Stage English 99.49
90% Sec Stage Maths 70.86

Any speculation on whether WCGS is likely?? possible??
Goodheart

Post by Goodheart »

Tonkscat wrote:Hi there, first post so please be kind :)

Another one trying to figure out chances for WCGS (congrats by the way, HSP)

He passed SET but failed Sutton and Wilsons.

Sutton fail-letter said
(standardised)

60% SET English 100 )
60% SET Maths 69.18 ) so these are presumaby his WCGS marks unless they've somehow been re-standardised during Second Stage Process

90% Sec Stage English 99.49
90% Sec Stage Maths 70.86

Any speculation on whether WCGS is likely?? possible??
Sutton Grammar explain at http://www.suttongrammar.sutton.sch.uk/ ... -Test-FAQs that:
  • Four standardised scores will be calculated using: (1) the multiple choice items from the English paper on the Selective Eligibility Test; (2) the multiple choice items from the mathematics paper on the Selective Eligibility Test; (3) the English paper in the second stage test and (4) the mathematics paper in the second stage test. The four standardised scores will be weighted in the ratio 2:2:3:3, an age allowance will be added, and the total rounded to the nearest four marks to give the final score.
So, that odd 60% and 90% stuff is just the way they've used the 2:2:3:3 ratio (as 60:60:90:90 is the same ratio). So, they've told you that:
60% of his SET English was 100, so his 'full' SET English was 166.67
60% of his SET Maths was 69.18, so his 'full' SET Maths was 115.30
90% of his Second Stage English was 99.49, so his 'full' Second Stage English was 110.54
90% of his Second Stage Maths was 70.86, so his 'full' Second Stage Maths was 78.73

Assuming WCGS just use the 'full' SET score (166.67 + 115.30), then your son's WCGS score is 281.97. Given that the cut-off for entry to Suttons and Wilson's Second Stages was 212 or 214, that score seems pretty impressive to me.

Anyway care to check my maths/logic?
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

I can see how you have reached those numbers but I don't think they can be right. Normally the standardised scores will be between 69 and 141 so it doesn't seem likely that anyone could have got 166 on a single paper.

Also, another poster up the thread said that the first round scores are restandardised for the second stage, so I think it's going to be quite difficult to work back to the first-round equivalents.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

The standardised scores for the girls schools are definitely outside the 59-141 band. Whilst NFER/CEM etc use a shortened band, there doesn't have to be a cap on the standardised score.

That said, it looks as if the standard deviation is (a lot) lower than 15. I would be slightly worried that the standardisation calculations have been done purely as an arithmetical exercise without someone stepping back and seeing if the overall outcome makes sense.
Tonkscat

Post by Tonkscat »

Many thanks GoodHeart, StreathamMum and Ladymuck

He missed Wilsons and Sutton by quite large margins :( so would be delighted but surprised if the SET mark was that high...
Slugterra mum

Post by Slugterra mum »

Tonkscat,

SGS will have restandardised the score against the 891 who took the second stage test, so that they can compare like with like in their 2:2:3:3 ratio.

For further information, this explains standardisation more fully:
https://www.nfer.ac.uk/research/centre- ... ile-ranks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you can work out where your DS scored in the 891, you will be able to pretty much work out where he sits in the WCGS cohort too, give or take 50 boys either way!

However, the one thing you have no control over is what everyone else will put on their CAF, so there are no certainties in this - just fill in your CAF with the schools in the order you would prefer them. and good luck to your DS wherever he goes.