Wilsons vs St.Olaves

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

djm05

Wilsons vs St.Olaves

Post by djm05 »

Hi,

My DS passed all Sutton exams and other exams with high scores. We kind of rounded down the top 2 schools as Wilsons and St. Olaves. We are now confused about the first option as both are very good schools, with comparable results.

Reading through several threads here, I see that the preference is generally based on the proximity/commutability to the school. Since we are ready to move, that's not a concern for us.

I would appreciate views from parents of these schools, especially those who moved in for the school.
Ladymuck

Re: Wilsons vs St.Olaves

Post by Ladymuck »

Yes, the schools are pretty similar, and an 11 year old boy will have similar options at both. For someone local to one school, it certainly wouldn't be worth the moving costs involved to up sticks to be close to the other.

So the only other differences:
a) the presence of girls at St Olaves. Personally I think that is a good thing, but not everyone will agree.
b) Rugby v football
c) size - St O's is smaller
d) St O's headmaster seems to attract a fair bit of criticism, which is fairly uncommon IME.
e) the buildings. The aesthetics may or may not impact your son.

I suspect where you live and what your budget will buy will be of far greater impact, than which of these schools you choose.
djm05

Re: Wilsons vs St.Olaves

Post by djm05 »

Thanks a lot Ladymuck for your view, it really helps.