Should we expect a place from Sutton/Surrey schools?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PurpleDuck

Re: Should we expect a place from Sutton/Surrey schools?

Post by PurpleDuck »

ToadMum wrote:
farfas wrote:Thanks guys for your replies. I appreciate that.

Sure, I will do check with local council once again.

I have been contacting schools but they all say wait till end of March. But wondering if Sutton Grammar and Wilson have already offered more than their quota then chances are probably low.

Let's keep fingers crossed. Also do schools maintain waiting list till December?
I also heard that there is some second list in January that few schools release.
Is there any such case in Sutton schools?

Thanks again
Farfas.
To comply with the Admissions Code, waiting lists must be maintained (in oversubscription criteria order) until the end of the autumn term.
It's what ToadMum said in principle, but I think it is possible to request a school to keep your DS on a waiting list beyond Christmas. In any case, I hope you won't need to wait that long. :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

tiffinboys wrote:He should automatically be on the waitlist of all the schools higher in the list than the allocated one. Check with LA and schools if there is a mistake, as he qualified for all the three schools.
I've heard of a few boys who qualified for all three schools but did not gain a place this year. Perhaps both Sutton and Wallington wanted to avoid a situation from last year and two years ago when they had a problem filling all of their places and consequently passed quite a few more boys this time round?
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

PurpleDuck wrote:
ToadMum wrote:

I have been contacting schools but they all say wait till end of March. But wondering if Sutton Grammar and Wilson have already offered more than their quota then chances are probably low.

Let's keep fingers crossed. Also do schools maintain waiting list till December?
I also heard that there is some second list in January that few schools release.

Thanks again
Farfas.
To comply with the Admissions Code, waiting lists must be maintained (in oversubscription criteria order) until the end of the autumn term.
It's what ToadMum said in principle, but I think it is possible to request a school to keep your DS on a waiting list beyond Christmas. In any case, I hope you won't need to wait that long. :)
Yes, you should be able to remain on a Continuing Interest list, but after the compulsory waiting list period, different schools may deal with one-year admissions in different ways. For instance, our local grammar schools then allow those who didn't pass the entrance exam to take an equal place on the list, as they organise a new test to fill vacancies (this is how our DD got her place), whereas I think I saw that one girls' grammar at least, in another area, will not consider girls who failed until the next formal point of entry, i.e. sixth form.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Look at the Admission arrangements of each school. Some schools, like Tiffins, maintain wait-list until end of the academic year.
farfas

Post by farfas »

tiffinboys wrote:Look at the Admission arrangements of each school. Some schools, like Tiffins, maintain wait-list until end of the academic year.
Thanks Tiffinboys, I will keep a track from all schools.
farfas

Post by farfas »

PurpleDuck wrote:
ToadMum wrote:

Thanks again
Farfas.
I am hoping for the best, thanks ToadMum.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now