How to get to the next level

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Lemongrass

How to get to the next level

Post by Lemongrass »

Hi, do any of you who have been through this process have any ideas/advice on how I can help my dc increase his scores in maths papers.

He consistently scores 70 or 80 % in the CGP, Bond and GL full tests papers but is still making silly mistakes. When we go over the mistakes, he is able to work out where he went wrong.

At the beginning of this process I would have been very happy with my ds achieving 70 or 80 % but I have noted that in the most recent Wallington mock, several boys scored 100% in the maths paper.

Do you think we can make significant progress in the next 8 weeks and if so, do you have any suggestions on how we go about this?
tiffinboys

Re: How to get to the next level

Post by tiffinboys »

Is he being pushed to do it rather quickly?

Timing is important, but do is accuracy. If he is good in techniques, with practice, timing will improve. Give him time to do it correctly, then cut time allowed little by little.

Also keep some papers for later use. Repeating same papers may not be very helpful. Chikdren do remember the questions, specially the ones they find difficult first time.
Octsmum

Re: How to get to the next level

Post by Octsmum »

Hi

My DD math's score has improved over time by a combination of:

Times tables practice at the end of year 4
Making sure she's got a good understanding of the techniques without time pressure
writing down the workings out as under time pressure mental arithmetic can get it wrong
Making your DC mark the work so they see their errors and where they dropped marks
Looking for common areas where they are dropping marks eg percentages / probability / etc and going over those

It's also helped watching her 'do' the questions eg I noticed her counting the boxes in a grid one by one rather than going it's a 5 x 5 grid = 25...

Best of luck
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now