Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:58 pm 

Hi everyone

I will be trying to go through the 11+ material with my daughter who will sit the test next year 2018. There is a lot of material available - so many choices, easy to go overboard and buy many books. But trying to be sensible and realistic and pace our selves. I've seen good material in CGP, Bond, GL books...

For Nonsuch and Wallington Girls exams, which books do you suggest we should follow?

Any useful help and advice will be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:46 pm 

once you have done the Peter Robson books 1,2, move to Schofield and Sims progress papers. They are good solid exercise with questions clustered by topic, so you can easily see the weak areas to target.

Once the fundamentals are clear, move to Heinemann word problems book5 to improve speed.

For English start with First aid in English for solid basics in grammar and punctuation.

For any weak areas that I was not clear on, www.primaryresources.co.uk, has enough explanation, ppts and simple exercises to start with.

Hope that helps. We used CGP, bond just to check the improvement in scores and mock tests, not core prep.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:05 pm 

Hi Priyeni - thank you so much for your detailed reply. I will certainly look into the books you suggest and try and build a plan for DD. We are not in the catchment area for the schools so DD will need to score high in order to stand a chance.

thanks again - much appreciated :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:35 pm 

Dear Priyeni, thank you for the detailed list of books, very useful indeed and a great start for me. Can I just check that The First Aid in English is by Angus Maciver? I've found Illustrated First Aid in English by this author on Amazon.

Would you say it's worth investing in Bond preparation materials?

My daughter is in year 4, so we are only just starting our prep, hoping that we can do it over two years in a relaxed way!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:04 pm 

Quote:
My daughter is in year 4, so we are only just starting our prep, hoping that we can do it over two years in a relaxed way!

Read, Read and Read. Read together with your child. Ask about the plot, ask about the characters, check vocab, ask about use of different words, synonyms, antonyms etc etc. Make it like Fun, not work.

That's all your DD needs in year 4.