Little time to prepare or not!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Golden75

Re: Little time to prepare or not!

Post by Golden75 »

I don't think having access to past papers necessarily gives those DC's an advantage, unless the papers are very similar each year. I sincerely hope that the stage 2 tests are changed significantly each year so that it's impossible to conclude from past papers what the test might include this year.

There will be many DC's sitting the test this year who know someone who sat the test in previous years and will have gained insight into previous years test content that way. We are not in this position, as we don't know anyone who has sat the test, but I don't think my DD is in a worse position. I think it's enough to know that the test will include writing and non-multiple choice maths. Knowing last years writing topics isn't going to improve my DD's chances if the topic is totally different this year.

It would have been more interesting to see past SET papers. My DD said the actual SET test was different to the Bonds and CGP papers that she did at home.
cheerio1357

Post by cheerio1357 »

While we can only hope that changes to the test format are significant year on year to make it tutor-proof as they claim it to be, there will be a definite advantage from going to tutors who have past papers/ who have marked prior tests since they would also have the additional knowledge of how to gain more points especially in stage 2 SET's. And such tutors would also prepare bespoke material?
I am not sure if I am reading too much into this but would be useful to see others point of view too.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

The second stage English papers don't change much year to year from what I gather - it's always one long piece of writing. It would have been helpful for my son to have some idea of what had been asked for in the past. For example, I don't know whether there's a choice of subjects or whether you're only given one option.

Some schools choose to make their past papers available and some don't. I favour publishing because it can reassure and help those who are DIY-ing and also because it reduces the possibility of some papers becoming available illicitly to some parents in a 'black market'.
cheerio1357

Post by cheerio1357 »

Some schools choose to make their past papers available and some don't. I favour publishing because it can reassure and help those who are DIY-ing and also because it reduces the possibility of some papers becoming available illicitly to some parents in a 'black market'.[/quote]
Couldn't agree more! If there were clear guidelines and past papers available, then there will be that much less paranoia and resorting to other means to ensure their DC is not missing anything.
Golden75

Post by Golden75 »

cheerio1357 wrote: there will be a definite advantage from going to tutors who have past papers/ who have marked prior tests since they would also have the additional knowledge of how to gain more points especially in stage 2 SET's.
This I totally agree with. Seeing a past paper wont really help anyone gain significant advantage in my opinion, but going to a tutor who has marked past papers and knows exactly how to score points in the Stage 2 test is a huge advantage. Lucky those who have had tutors who have such insider information, I feel like I have been a bit naïve by thinking that Bond and CGP books will do the trick :roll: . The more I learn about the 11+, the less it seems like a level playing field.
Maximillian

Post by Maximillian »

A quick warning. I have seen this on facebook and I have done some research. The company does not exist; I believe it is some kind of 'fishing' expedition as when i clicked on the link, I was sent to my own page. I have sent an email and will let you know if a) I relieve a reply or b) I get a virus.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Due to other responsibilities, I won't be marking this year's SGS/ Wilson's Stage 2 test

Nor next year's, nor any school's entrance exam any time soon, if the schools involved intend that previous years' papers are not to be made available, one would hope :shock:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
loopylala

Post by loopylala »

ToadMum wrote: Due to other responsibilities, I won't be marking this year's SGS/ Wilson's Stage 2 test

Nor next year's, nor any school's entrance exam any time soon, if the schools involved intend that previous years' papers are not to be made available, one would hope :shock:
As mods. have removed the first link, I imagine they will be free to carry on as they have been tbh.
loopylala

Post by loopylala »

Maximillian wrote:A quick warning. I have seen this on facebook and I have done some research. The company does not exist; I believe it is some kind of 'fishing' expedition as when i clicked on the link, I was sent to my own page. I have sent an email and will let you know if a) I relieve a reply or b) I get a virus.
Have you posted on the FB closed group to let everyone know this?
phantomguzzler

Post by phantomguzzler »

I asked to join the facebook page (and was accepted) and there is a download of the last two years stage 2 English tests from Sutton Grammar. I know one is for real as my older son sat it that year and it is the same exercise. Her name is on the site and I am contemplating whether to contact Sutton/Wilsons with this information, surely their markers and invigilators sign some sort of agreement not to share or distribute any exam materials past or present. If she has the English papers I assume she probably has the maths ones as well and this has given any students she tutors a real heads up....now am wondering how many other markers of the papers are tutors. This doesn't sit right with me at all.