Need advice on second stage exam format

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BlueBells

Need advice on second stage exam format

Post by BlueBells »

First of all, many thanks to all the forum members for guiding us in the right direction! I am a DIY parent and got the most of the information readily available from these forums. :-)
What will be the format of maths and english paper (second stage test) for Sutton Grammar School and Wilson's School ? And if this is already discussed , could you please point me to the thread link.Thanks again.
totatoti

Re: Need advice on second stage exam format

Post by totatoti »

Hi

I would assume for English it would still involve creative writing although we don't know if it would be 1 long piece or two short pieces of writing. This is the 1st year shared test by Sutton Grammar and Wilson so who knows if they will change to something even very different... I am preparing for my son for creative writing scenario...

Maths is straightforward presumably i.e. standard test.
Ladymuck

Re: Need advice on second stage exam format

Post by Ladymuck »

Maths will tend to be wordy problems, and often multi-step problems, so the standard 1 mark per question papers aren't that helpful. The Manchester Grammar School Arithmetic papers are worth looking at, also any asterisked questions in "Do you really want to learn maths? Book 1" (red edition, not blue).

English has looked at different styles over the years. Wilsons favoured 1 long piece, SGS 2. SGS does favour what I think of as old fashioned essay titles. Do practice letter format and style.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now