Handwriting

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KingstonMama

Handwriting

Post by KingstonMama »

Hello!

Does anyone know if handwriting carries in marks in the 2nd part of 11+ exams around here (Tiffins Girls and Nonsuch specifically)? My daughter's handwriting is unjoined and could be better but we are focusing our energies on maths skills, comprehension, vocab etc rather than her handwriting! It is readable but she hates to join up.

Sorry if this is a silly question! Just trying to prepare - she'd be sitting tests in Sept 2018.
ToadMum

Re: Handwriting

Post by ToadMum »

KingstonMama wrote:Hello!

Does anyone know if handwriting carries in marks in the 2nd part of 11+ exams around here (Tiffins Girls and Nonsuch specifically)? My daughter's handwriting is unjoined and could be better but we are focusing our energies on maths skills, comprehension, vocab etc rather than her handwriting! It is readable but she hates to join up.

Sorry if this is a silly question! Just trying to prepare - she'd be sitting tests in Sept 2018.
I can't imagine that handwriting would have any bearing at all, except with regard to its legibility. I think a state school would be on a very sticky wicket if marks were given or withheld on the strength of the 'look' of the script, where the answers were clearly correct.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
parentoftwo

Post by parentoftwo »

DS has horrible handwriting and unjoined. We are still working on it. After passing stage 1 of SET last year, I had the same fear as the second stage involves loads of writing. With his handwriting I was in doubt too if the examiners would be able to read his ideas..although he is very imaginative in writing. But he passed.
As long as your handwriting is legible, should be ok.

You still have time!
KingstonMama

Post by KingstonMama »

Thanks so much for your replies. Her handwriting is fairly legible it's just printed and sometimes looks as if a younger child did it, so I worry it'd detract from her lovely ideas as, like your DS parentoftwo, she is wonderfully creative with a great vocab. She's a left hander like me, and I found handwriting difficult at her age too although persevered with joining up.