Nonsuch/Wallington Girls Test results 2017

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BlueBerry

Re: Nonsuch/Wallington Girls Test results 2017

Post by BlueBerry »

streathammum wrote:To be honest, if they're going to start getting coy about cut-offs, they'd be better off not giving scores at all. The boys schools in Sutton just give pass or fail, no scores.
Yes I agree too.
RuedeWakening

Post by RuedeWakening »

Yes, I had the same reply.

Although they did say that only 8 of the potential 15 places reserved for local children attracting pupil premium were filled last year - it was similar the year before, too. So if your daughter passed and is in catchment and gets PP (FSM or service premium or LAC premium) then their chance of a place seems pretty solid!

Any places not taken up by PP kids get added to the IC places total.
Mittleme

Post by Mittleme »

to be honest , this period is a panic for all and I mean all parents in filling the CAF forms

I don't think these schools know themselves hence they don't want to advise parents especially with the sort of advice given re: pupil premium that only 8 filled it in the end and the rest had to go to ----

I went thru this with my DD 2 years ago 2015 and we are OOC ( I know it was different as the 2 schools hadn't merged their exams then

anyway this is the letter I got re: her scores and she got 350 . by the way there were a few people on this forum that got higher than her so this forum is a really helpful place to learn and get some advise

Highest standardised total score which passed 391

Lowest standardised total score which passed 250

may be it was a gamble I took but I only put Non such as first choice and Wallington as 2nd choice and those are the 2 schools I filled on her CAF because I knew she would get either of them and infact Wallington still wrote to us saying they would be delighted to have her as she scored very high marks there , infact better than Non such . Comp was not an option for me. but I had an Indie as backup even though I knew I could not afford it unless we got a really good scholarship
and she got Non Such as that was what she wanted

not saying every parent can take this gamble but I think depending on the marks ur DD's get , some can know immediately and some would not be able to tell especially those in the mid 200's and a bit going towards 300 mark but the advise the schools themselves give is that you should put the schools in order of your preference.
because
infact I met a parent at Non such who was so happy and she said to me never even thought Non Such would call her DD to come and start after the March clearing process( because some go the private/indie option and make spaces available ). she said to me they had already decided that her DD was going to an Indie because of her not too high scores . so no one knows

I hope this helps.
Last edited by Mittleme on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gringo64

Post by Gringo64 »

I agree it would be easier and much kinder to just say pass or fail.

Three years ago I drove myself mad trying to work out using all sorts of "statistical techniques"if my daughter would get a place with her score. My husband kept trying to tell me that unless you know the other girls' scores there is no way of knowing.
twinklingfour

Post by twinklingfour »

Hi,

My DD scored 307 in Stage 2 and we are OOC by a few metres for Wallington Girls (blue circle catchment is 6.7km radius and our home is 7.4km !!).This is her dream school ,but she has a better score 241 for Newstead Wood Orpington which is equally brilliant and same ease of travel .

Can anyone shed a light to what are our chances of getting in Wallington Girls if we keep it as our 1st choice?

Any advice or have anyone come across similar situation?
Thanks
sriji

Post by sriji »

We live in hertfordhire and my DD scored 322. Planning to move. Based on our distance, I think we need to refer the OOC closing score.

Is there no information available on Wallington girls closing scores? Want to get an idea on her chances based on past score before putting this school in CAF.

I have seen nonsuch closing score in forum (OOC - 310 (1-Mar-2017), 304 (Apr 2017)) but not for Wallington. Any guidance on the whether Wallington Girls closes above Nonsuch or well below?
twinklingfour

Post by twinklingfour »

I think every OOC girl passed, will be considered only under admission criteria 5.2.3 for Wallington Girls -

5.2.3 100 places on the basis of score in the Entrance Tests in order of highest score

It would really help to know last year's the lowest cut off OOC score
Golden75

Post by Golden75 »

I've tried to do a bit of digging into Wallington lowest cut-off score, but there doesn't seem to be anything available online. I spoke to a parent whose daughter goes to Wallington Girls (her DD now in Year 9) and she said that one of her DD's friends didn't get a place at Wallington Girls which was her 1st choice, but was offered a place at Nonsuch, which was her 2nd choice. So that to me suggests that at least 3 years ago Wallington Girls cut-off was higher than Nonsuch. Wallington Girls' catchment area is bigger as well, so more girls will be applicable for an IC place.

This is just playground talk and cut-off scores could have changed since then as this was several years ago, but to avoid disappointment in March, I am not expecting the Wally Girls cut-off to be significantly lower (if at all) than the Nonsuch cut-off.
RuedeWakening

Post by RuedeWakening »

The current year 9 would have taken two separate exams for WHSG and Nonsuch though - I also know someone who passed Nonsuch but not Wallington, and who is now at Woodcote.
hbsseal

Post by hbsseal »

I would think cutoff would be higher for WHSG compared to Nonsuch for IC applicants given the larger catchment area as well as lesser number of catchment places (110, compared to 125 for Nonsuch). The reverse would hold true for OC applicants, and the cutoff would be higher for Nonsuch compared to WHSG for them.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now