SGS from non catchment area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
judith1209

SGS from non catchment area

Post by judith1209 »

Hello
I really need your advice here. I guess many mums now start to struggle to decide what to put for first choice.
My son met required score for both Sgs and wilson's.
Because Wilson's is over 1hr journey our preference is SGS.
But I am also worried because we're not in catchment area it would be really difficult to get in when we don't know ds's score.
Any experience you got a place offered from Sgs when you're not from catchment area.
It might sound little bit silly but any idea how much it would be difficult?
Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks! :D
ToadMum

Re: SGS from non catchment area

Post by ToadMum »

judith1209 wrote:Hello
I really need your advice here. I guess many mums now start to struggle to decide what to put for first choice.
My son met required score for both Sgs and wilson's.
Because Wilson's is over 1hr journey our preference is SGS.
But I am also worried because we're not in catchment area it would be really difficult to get in when we don't know ds's score.
Any experience you got a place offered from Sgs when you're not from catchment area.
It might sound little bit silly but any idea how much it would be difficult?
Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks! :D
So,

Oversubscription Criteria
Parents must have named Sutton Grammar School on the CAF and their son must have met the School’s
Admission Standard in order to be placed on a rank order list of qualified applicants that is sent to the Local
Authority.
The following criteria will apply, in the order set out below, to determine the rank order of boys eligible for offers
of places at the School:
1. Boys who are deemed to be ‘looked after’ or formerly looked after by a local
authority. Supporting evidence of the status will be required.
2. 75 places by rank order of the scores in the selection tests where the home
address of the boy is in one of the postcodes (SM1-7, KT4, KT17, CR0 4--, CR4).
3. 60 places (plus any remaining places in criterion 2 if the number of qualified boys
in criterion 2 is less than the 75 on offer) by rank order of the scores in the
selection tests from any home address.
4. Proximity of the boy's home address from the School (where scores are equal).
The final score will be rounded to the nearest four marks. There will usually be several boys with the same final
score. Where the admission of all of these would exceed the number of places available, places will be allocated
by proximity of the boy's home address (measured in a straight line) to the front door of the School in Manor
Lane. All distances will be measured using a computerised Geographical Information System maintained by the
London Borough of Sutton.
The address used in the application process must be the boy’s permanent place of residence on the date of
submission of the Registration Form...

I can't comment on how likely it is that you would get an offer, because I have no idea of the other numbers involved but if it is your first preference school, then put it first on your CAF. Getting or not getting Sutton will not influence whether or not your DS is eligible for a place at any of your other preferences and if you don't get Sutton on March 1st, your DS will be on the waiting list.

Your main problem arises - as others have pointed out to me elsewhere, as if it was actually an insurmountable problem completely out of the control of the protagonist, so to speak - if your desire is to fill up your entire CAF with selective schools where your DS's chance of being offered a place is far from certain. I would guess not, since you are already discounting one other grammar school on grounds of reasonable travel time? So really, you just have to rank schools in your true order of preference, with at least the final one being a school where you can be certain of getting a place. Not doing that could mean that your DS does up at an even more undesirable school.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
judith1209

Post by judith1209 »

Thanks, Toadmum
Since my ds doesn't have strong preference my mind keeps changing between SGS, wilson's and tiffin. I wish either ds or I can be more determined. :oops:
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

judith1209 wrote:Thanks, Toadmum
Since my ds doesn't have strong preference my mind keeps changing between SGS, wilson's and tiffin. I wish either ds or I can be more determined. :oops:
I'm not in your area but I'm having similar issues with choosing the order of the schools. My problem is that I really like one son whilst DS has a preference for the other :?

Good luck, it really isn't easy!