Sutton Grammar Vs Wallington

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiffinboys

Re: Sutton Grammar Vs Wallington

Post by tiffinboys »

:lol: :lol: Choice coming down to colour of blazers. Really enjoyed the comments by wingman.

Good Luck to all DC and their parents.
newbie14

Post by newbie14 »

I have two sons at WCGS. It was my first choice for my youngest as we were delighted with it. He passed Tiffins( scored very high) Sutton( which is closer) and Wilsons ( too far so out of the running for us) but we chose it for its ethos, great pastoral care and the 3 year GCSE course. It does the sciences separately from Year 7. Latin and food tech were the other options my son preferred. My son gets a lot of homework but is thriving .. he does a lot of sport - rugby, table tennis and athletics ( at the moment) - music -- choir and robotics. He absolutely loves it there!
tabby

Post by tabby »

hi all,

its great to see all your kids doing so well in the grammar schools.

My son is currently in Year 3 and is more academically inclined esp maths.. not very sporty though... What are the imp points to consider while selecting the school.

jus wanted to ask whether you went for tutoring or it was all self study. Any recommendations on good tutor to mentor my DS. I am in Sutton and targeting Tiffins, SGS, WCGS and Wilson.

Many thanks
lexus1979

Post by lexus1979 »

Hi All
I have been reading this post which is now a bit dated
Instead of starting a new Thread I would like to have views on both the schools ( esp with SGS now having a new head ) last 4-5 years ).
I couldn’t attend the open day for both the schools
1) what are the noticeable differences between the schools
2) how’s the teaching / teachers at both the schools
3) does SGS have a better reputation as dictated by the league tables
4) we will be relocating if we get the schools. What the the best areas to live ( need a bit of buzzz and a 10 min drive to school is ok. People suggested carshalton , wallington , beddington , purley. Any good areas to add here ?
5 .) since wcgs is going to focus more on rugby , my son who is NOT sporty might lean towards SGS. But That’s not the main reason
6) also when I visited st olaves , Wilson and Watford grammar I found SGS from outside a bit run down.just want to ensure the stuff inside the school is good
7) is there someone in a situation who did not get Wilson but got SGS and moved to independent. ( for lack of information on SGS ). Like choosing between SGS / trinity / etc and landed up going indie.
8)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

lexus1979 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:26 am Hi All
I have been reading this post which is now a bit dated
Instead of starting a new Thread I would like to have views on both the schools ( esp with SGS now having a new head ) last 4-5 years ).
I couldn’t attend the open day for both the schools
1) what are the noticeable differences between the schools
2) how’s the teaching / teachers at both the schools
3) does SGS have a better reputation as dictated by the league tables
4) we will be relocating if we get the schools. What the the best areas to live ( need a bit of buzzz and a 10 min drive to school is ok. People suggested carshalton , wallington , beddington , purley. Any good areas to add here ?
5 .) since wcgs is going to focus more on rugby , my son who is NOT sporty might lean towards SGS. But That’s not the main reason
6) also when I visited st olaves , Wilson and Watford grammar I found SGS from outside a bit run down.just want to ensure the stuff inside the school is good
7) is there someone in a situation who did not get Wilson but got SGS and moved to independent. ( for lack of information on SGS ). Like choosing between SGS / trinity / etc and landed up going indie.
8)
Is this the child you were planning on sending to an Indie ? Is that still on the cards?