Sutton Grammar Vs Wallington

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mum_2017

Re: Sutton Grammar Vs Wallington

Post by mum_2017 »

MY last query I promise - as I am filling up the form and selecting the options my hands are really shaking .
Last query
DS is very interested in maths and science . Language had never intrigued him much yet.
He is also sporty and loves cricket and football .
Trying to balance the two schools
SGS VS WALLY
I can see SGS is heavily into STEM .. does it help the child who is interested in science more ? .
DS doesn’t want to compromise on his cricket( main sports ) and football and Wallington has the facility for the same but he also wants more concentration in science and I am confused to chose between them and he has made me a ping pong ball literally tilting my head either ways .
Wally boys is nearer than Sgs as for Sgs it will be a commute of 45/50 mins with buses and trains and hence we have to move to Sutton. Any genuine suggestions please regarding the schools . One last time and I am off !!thanks in advance .
I should change my name from Mum-2017 to one-confused_mum2017 now !!
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

WCGS has increased in favour recently as they are still letting boys take GCSE maths early, and allow boys to take more GCSEs overall. I'm not saying that that is an advantage necessarily, but some parents value the option.
appleeye

Post by appleeye »

Thank you for the very informative posts- can I please check if anyone can throw light as to how WCGS and SGS prepare for the the GCSE’s? I have heard that SGS does it over 2 years and WCGS over 3 years: does anyone have more information?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

See wingman post earlier re KS3 course. It would imply that you have heard it correct.
worriedmum2017

Post by worriedmum2017 »

Thanks mum_2017 for the topic . I am going through the same dilemma. My son liked SGS better than Wcgs because of the science and maths concentration . He is not into languages . But WCGS has got a good balance to sports as well . I have kept wcgs 2nd and sgs as third - but is it worth changing the option just because one school has more sporting facilities onsite or should we only stick to what our intial liking was on the open day ? I am confused as well. DS is fine with either but I think he has got a liking for SGS and sports is the only reason he said yes to wcgs . We can have sports outside school hours too from external help ..
I am super confused too and got few friends who suggested SGS better than wally and I should be putting it that ways . They had all done it in previous year in the similar way .
:-(
Any help ?
Thanks
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

My son just started SGS. The sports field that they use is beautiful. It's about 10 mins away in the minibus, so the travelling doesn't really impact on him much at all. Year 7 have games on a Friday afternoon, so they finish lunch a bit early and get the bus over to the ground - it's mainly football in winter, cricket/athletics in summer I think. Not much rugby. Also he's been doing swimming once a week for PE - but because the pool isn't heated, it's only used in term 1 and term 6.

My DS isn't sporty so I can't say what sort of after school sports stuff happens, but Mr Bangs the PE teacher seemed great and enthusiastic so I think there must be clubs for football at least.

We have no regrets about choosing SGS over Wally Boys, but it's an individual choice for each family.
worriedmum2017

Post by worriedmum2017 »

THANks Streathammum for
Your reply . I also read about the Stem education in Sutton . Does it help the boys who are more interested in science ?
Also any feedback on wcgs? Do they equally focus in science as well or it’s more of humanities ?
Thanks again
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

I do know that SGS is unusual in doing the sciences separately in Y7 (ie physics, chemistry and biology rather than "science") but how much difference this makes to the actual content of the lessons I'm not sure. My DS is very keen on science and maths and is enjoying it, but they also do the full curriculum including history, geography, MFL, citizenship, art, drama, RE etc. He's also loving the Monday after school board games club :roll:
Wingman100

Post by Wingman100 »

All,

I have one son at SGS and one at WCGS. Both are excellent schools and neither of my sons would switch if they had the chance. I do not know a single parent at either school who is unhappy with their choice, both schools are great at creating a sense of loyalty and togetherness. I am not sure that the 2yr vs. 3 yr KS3 is a major issue, both schools seem to get excellent results at GSCE and both seem to have excellent teachers. From what I can see both schools also consistently produce mature (ish), well-balanced young men ready to face the big wide world.

I have already posted earlier about the differences between the schools, without re-posting word for word, it's worth thinking about:

- Journey time: Both schools are excellent so there would need to be a good reason to send them to the further school?
- Gut feel / fit: If one school felt better / more suitable for your son then it probably is.
- If you want a school with a more traditional head who has a track record of running the school well for years it's SGS, if you want a young head who is relatively new then it's WCGS.
- If your DS loves football it's SGS (they don't play rugby), if he loves rugby it's WCGS (they don't play football).
- If your DS loves cricket it's either as both schools play.
- If your DS loves swimming it's SGS (SGS have a pool, WCGS don't and do no swimming).
- If your DS loves Latin, take him to see a doctor, then send him to WCGS as Sutton don't do Latin.
- If burgundy blazers are your thing it's SGS, if you prefer black it's WCGS.

Good luck all with making a decision, if you are in the lucky position to have a decision to make then the hard part is done.
thankyou123

Post by thankyou123 »

Haha

I like your sense of humour. :)

- If your DS loves Latin, take him to see a doctor, then send him to WCGS as Sutton don't do Latin.

Wingman100 wrote:All,

I have one son at SGS and one at WCGS. Both are excellent schools and neither of my sons would switch if they had the chance. I do not know a single parent at either school who is unhappy with their choice, both schools are great at creating a sense of loyalty and togetherness. I am not sure that the 2yr vs. 3 yr KS3 is a major issue, both schools seem to get excellent results at GSCE and both seem to have excellent teachers. From what I can see both schools also consistently produce mature (ish), well-balanced young men ready to face the big wide world.

I have already posted earlier about the differences between the schools, without re-posting word for word, it's worth thinking about:

- Journey time: Both schools are excellent so there would need to be a good reason to send them to the further school?
- Gut feel / fit: If one school felt better / more suitable for your son then it probably is.
- If you want a school with a more traditional head who has a track record of running the school well for years it's SGS, if you want a young head who is relatively new then it's WCGS.
- If your DS loves football it's SGS (they don't play rugby), if he loves rugby it's WCGS (they don't play football).
- If your DS loves cricket it's either as both schools play.
- If your DS loves swimming it's SGS (SGS have a pool, WCGS don't and do no swimming).
- If burgundy blazers are your thing it's SGS, if you prefer black it's WCGS.

Good luck all with making a decision, if you are in the lucky position to have a decision to make then the hard part is done.