Sutton Grammar Vs Wallington

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum_2017

Sutton Grammar Vs Wallington

Post by mum_2017 »

Hi ,
My DS has cleared the 3 schools for Sutton and it's time for us to fill up the CAF form . We are sure about our first choice but confused between the 2nd and the 3rd . DH wants Wallington as 2nd choice and he thinks sporting facilities are slightly better in Wallington than Sutton grammar but I liked Sutton grammar because of it being a small school compared to Wallington and want it as 2nd plus the league table performances show Sutton is slightly ahead . Though Wallington has performed really well past year and it's an outstanding school too now !
Thankfully DS is fine with either options . He desperately wants Wilson's which is our first choice and really doesn't mind either schools as his 2nd or 3rd. Also not knowing the scores doesn't help us make the choice . Getting into Wilson is a very tough job and we hope he gets in but because of no knowledge on his scores or ranking we are extremely concerned that if we do mistakes in filling up CAF form with wrong options then we might jeopardise his chances of getting into any of the schools . At least if he has not scored enough to be offered a final place at Wilson's we can hope to get offer from the 2nd or 3rd . His 4th choice is St Olaves . He found St olaves a bit intimidating and doesn't want it as his 2nd or even 3rd choice.
We genuinely want a guidance from previous parents who have gone thru this and any suggestion might just help us to decide on our options carefully .
Thanks in advance .

Ps : also pastoral care is of utmost importance to us as our DS is a bit sensitive and doesn't speak up for himself much though after lots of persuasion , just recently he has started to defend himself every now and then .
harmony_11p

Re: Sutton Grammar Vs Wallington

Post by harmony_11p »

Hi All,

We have similar concern and dilemma to choose between SGS and Wallington. Mum_2017 already desrcibed it very well, can someone throw light on this please ?

Thanks
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Not a parent at either school, but went through similar question some years ago.

Both schools are of similar size. Wallington has better on-site sports facilities.
For us, commute was easy to SGS, than Wallington.
mum_2017

Post by mum_2017 »

tiffinboys wrote:Not a parent at either school, but went through similar question some years ago.

Both schools are of similar size. Wallington has better on-site sports facilities.
For us, commute was easy to SGS, than Wallington.

Thanks for your reply . Do you have any idea please In terms of learning are there any major difference in languages learnt and subjects ? Does Wallington concentrate more on languages ( humanities ) or all the 3 schools in Sutton are more
On maths and science ? My DS like most of the boys have keen interest in science and maths .
Wingman100

Post by Wingman100 »

I have boys at both schools and am very happy with both. The main differences are:

WCGS Sports facilities are on site - SGS are a 10 minute coach ride away although not an issue for my son as they are close to our home.
WCGS do rugby as their main sport/SGS do football
WCGS do Latin/SGS do not
WCGS do Food Tech/SGS do not
SGS have a swimming pool/WCGS do not
WCGS do KS3 in two years/SGS in three years
SGS seems more relaxed about homework in Year 7/8 ie. they don't give too much - some parents like this/some don't!
SGS does CCF (Combined Cadet Force)/WCGS does not

Both schools are a similar size (apart from WCGS having the sports field), I'm not sure what you mean about the size difference? We have found pastoral care to be good at both although neither of our boys have had any real issues so far. I have found that WCGS are a little more modern in their ways of thinking and communicating with parents (use of website/sports apps/social media etc), mainly down to their SLT being younger and more dynamic. The head at SGS is obviously older and has been in his post a long time but he is great in other ways and is popular with parents, he can always be found manning the BBQ at events and referees football matches etc - you can't fault his commitment to the school.

I don't think you can make a 'wrong' decision, both are excellent schools.

I hope this helps.
Slugterra mum

Post by Slugterra mum »

Hi

Have a look at this thread from last year

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=48912
Mum AA

Post by Mum AA »

Both the schools are of similar.
Wallington school seems to has great on-site sports facilities and some great teachers in their faculty team.
mum_2017

Post by mum_2017 »

Wingman100 wrote:I have boys at both schools and am very happy with both. The main differences are:

WCGS Sports facilities are on site - SGS are a 10 minute coach ride away although not an issue for my son as they are close to our home.
WCGS do rugby as their main sport/SGS do football
WCGS do Latin/SGS do not
WCGS do Food Tech/SGS do not
SGS have a swimming pool/WCGS do not
WCGS do KS3 in two years/SGS in three years
SGS seems more relaxed about homework in Year 7/8 ie. they don't give too much - some parents like this/some don't!
SGS does CCF (Combined Cadet Force)/WCGS does not

Both schools are a similar size (apart from WCGS having the sports field), I'm not sure what you mean about the size difference? We have found pastoral care to be good at both although neither of our boys have had any real issues so far. I have found that WCGS are a little more modern in their ways of thinking and communicating with parents (use of website/sports apps/social media etc), mainly down to their SLT being younger and more dynamic. The head at SGS is obviously older and has been in his post a long time but he is great in other ways and is popular with parents, he can always be found manning the BBQ at events and referees football matches etc - you can't fault his commitment to the school.

I don't think you can make a 'wrong' decision, both are excellent schools.

I hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for your kind and detailed reply .
It will definitely help us to make a choice . By small school I didn’t mean the size of the school campus but the number of students. SGS has very recently increased their size from 120 to 135 ( maybe a couple of years ? ) and WCGS is 150 . As I have mentioned earlier that I am looking for good pastoral care too for my DS hence what was playing on my mind that less students more care that ways ..
Thank you very much once again . We will visit all the points you have mentioned and take a informed decision on that now .
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Not much difference in student size. Upto 2-3 years ago, both schools' intake was 120 per year.
Hershel

Post by Hershel »

I think both are good schools. My friend’s son is at WCGS and got 7A* and 6As, he is now doing A/L. He is enjoying there.
Last year I know three boys(from my DD’s class)passed all Sutton grammars and ST Olave. They put St Olaves first choice and Wilson’s second but got offered Wilsons. Another boy passed all three Sutton and put Wilson’s first choice but got WCGS on the offer day.

It’s a magic game!!!!