Sutton Grammar PTA mock tests 2018

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

timeflies

Re: Sutton Grammar PTA mock tests 2018

Post by timeflies »

Hopefully the marking is better than some of the GCSE marking this year !

I think the PTA clearly state what they are offering. I am sure there are plenty of teachers (staff and parents ) available within the PTA who can assist.

Marking of the multiple choice papers-a machine (same as the real SET).

I for one cant thank them enough. My always calm, together child, panicked, cried and refused to do it-not something we were expecting. If it wasn't for the invigilator who talked them through it and allowed them to sit in the entrance and then move into the hall gradually I don't think we would have got them in. The next mock we had coping strategies and it was better.
The real test went off smoothly and they were able to perform at their best.
Maybe it would not have happened but I think we would have been taken by surprise on the day if it weren't for the mocks.

Many parents(children) find them very valuable for many reasons. The 11plus process has many faults we can debate. The playing field is not level. Some children clearly have advantages as their parents have the knowledge to help them. Some can afford tutors/private schools/choice of good state primary etc. etc. Doing a mock is one thing in a build up to the 11plus that you can think of doing.

Good luck to all the children doing them and Thank You to all the hard working PTA people putting them on .
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If GCSEs were multiple choice and marked by a machine there would not be any problem but then the questions would be simplistic. Actually very few grades are changed; the ones that are always make the news but not those that are unchanged!

So WHO sets the papers???
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:If GCSEs were multiple choice and marked by a machine there would not be any problem but then the questions would be simplistic. Actually very few grades are changed; the ones that are always make the news but not those that are unchanged!

So WHO sets the papers???
Possibly the answer to this is in the FAQs? Unfortunately, these lie behind the firewall of registration. You could always pretend to have a year 5 to put in for the exam :lol:

Just a thought - according to the Admissions FAQs, specimen papers are not available. So are the ones used for the mocks not particularly like the real thing (because specimen papers are not available and to let only a predetermined number of DC have a look, even in return for payment, would be morally wrong)? Or are they actually quite / very like the real thing (in. , which case, 'Specimen papers are not available' - unless you hand over a certain amount of money, most of which will, of course find its way back into school funds, but then, not actually everyone who might like to have a look, as we restrict the numbers )?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

At the top of this page is a little advert.
It states
"11 plus mock exams.Essential for 11+ preparation.Reduces anxiety....."
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Moon unit wrote:At the top of this page is a little advert.
It states "11 plus mock exams.Essential for 11+ preparation.Reduces anxiety....."
And you believe every advert you read? I don't!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Surely people don't believe in every negative view as well.
A very large number of people think these mocks useful for their children, irrespective of who in PTA prepares these tests.
worrybot

Post by worrybot »

I am trying to book a mock test for DS but the site has been down for atleast 30 minutes. Has any one been able to book a session?
Thank you,

Worrybot
dedicated

Post by dedicated »

No luck either,
isha.lowe

Post by isha.lowe »

I can't get in either, trying for 45 minutes
babs

Post by babs »

Can someone post as soon as they are able to log in please.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now