Wilsons September 2018-Any one interested travel F Hounslow?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiffinboys

Re: Wilsons September 2018-Any one interested travel F Houns

Post by tiffinboys »

That would be assuming that there are car load of boys coming from Hounslow. :wink:
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

ToadMum wrote:
scary mum wrote: If you are lift sharing I don't know how staying late for a detention would work?
Probably not an issue, as the entire carload would have been late together, one assumes?
This made me giggle :lol: :lol: :lol:
CSB

Post by CSB »

From Wilson’s website, admission FAQs:

Q: Does it matter where we live?
A: For practical reasons your son shouldn’t have a journey of more than an hour in order that he can fully participate in the wider life of the school.
Mittleme

Post by Mittleme »

[quote][/quote]

Q: Does it matter where we live?
A: For practical reasons your son shouldn’t have a journey of more than an hour in order that he can fully participate in the wider life of the school.

am sorry but I would rather while people showing empathy to also be sincere and realistic with me if i was in same situation , that's why the Originator came on the forum because there's an issue with journey there most especially if theres outstanding grammar schools nearer.

i agree with CBS being sincere in the sense that a child shouldn't be making more than an hours journey. it wont be fair even if people don't comment on that journey time for a child especially and no wonder i noticed the post was empty for a long time ( no one replied to it)
CSB

Post by CSB »

I've not been aware of this forum very long, but have seen enough already to know that it's a very brave person that comes on here to ask questions relating to long-distance travel after the offers have been made!

We have girl-boy twins and live in the Sutton Borough, so attended all 5 Sutton grammar school open evenings. That was enough for us - we didn't have the stamina or capacity to take in any more information or choices, and the kids would not have dealt well with the pressure of additional exams either. I'm amazed how many parents and kids cope with the logistics and stress of attending so many open days and preparing for/sitting entry tests in multiple Boroughs, they're far more determined than us, that's for sure! However, we are lucky that the non-selective schools in Sutton are also very good.

It was interesting how emphatically the head teacher at Nonsuch requested right at the start of her talk for parents to only apply if their daughter could realistically reach the school door-to-door in no longer than 45 minutes on public transport. She was very clear that they expected the girls to get there independently and did not like them being driven to the school. No other grammars were quite so clear on the travel policy, but all mentioned it.
Mittleme

Post by Mittleme »

yes true it takes a brave person-
I have gained valuable advise from this forum since joining especially with last minute vital decisions - people can still consider changing their minds if theres a choice with the advise given by some here .

but what i don't understand is why the schools don't place a restriction on distance in the application if they are putting in their FAQ's that 1 hour/45mins is the maximum journey kids should be making because they must know some of us are definitely not taking to that advise.( and am not excluding myself)

i mean its Ok if there are no good grammar schools where you live because for some ( i included) its got to be grammar or Indie

even as an adult when applying for jobs distance is key . the only job i would consider even applying for that takes a journey of over 1 hr is contract work being what it is x2.5 of what i am on as a permanent staff how much more a child

anyway different things for different folks .
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Mittleme wrote: i mean its Ok if there are no good grammar schools where you live because for some ( i included) its got to be grammar or Indie
But if there are no grammars near your home (and by near I mean within an hour's travel) then why would you expect your child to attend one?

If there are no grammars near you, then it stands to reason that the schools you do have nearby would be genuinely mixed ability and would be able to cater well for children at all stages of the ability range.

GS/indie or nothing is a strange mentality. There are about 3,400 secondary schools in England, of which less than half a percent are grammars, so for most people grammars just aren't an option. Which is fine, because at the end of the day they're just schools.
Mittleme

Post by Mittleme »

streathammum

[quote][/quote]

GS/indie or nothing is a strange mentality but the over 45mins journey situation is a different thing altogether.

- i completely agree with u but am afraid some of us are exactly that . for me inclusive the mentality cannot be changed. i would love not to have that mentality

i recently met a parent we got talking who told me he went to a Private school (that i know and cherish)and then asked him if his parents were rich

he said infact that there were no good schools where he lived at that time and his grandparents had to pay for his fees throughout but now his DD is in year 6 and come September going to start in a local comp school which is OK
CSB

Post by CSB »

streathammum wrote: because at the end of the day they're just schools.
But you also need to make a call on whether it's the right school school for your child after weighing everything up. There's a difference between going for a grammar at all costs because you have gut feel that it's right for your child vs determination to get into a grammar because it's what you've always assumed is the ultimate goal for all children.

With our twins, one has always responded well to being the small fish in the big pond; it's the opposite with the other one. We have one going to Sutton Grammar and the other to Harris Sutton. The one going to Harris Sutton achieves higher scores on the school practice SATs. I'm excited for both of them, and very importantly it means they can both get to or from school on their own in 15 minutes by bus. Maybe in due course I can provide some useful insights into both schools for this forum. I hope that doesn't sound like I'm conducting a social experiment though :lol:
Mittleme

Post by Mittleme »

CSB quote

With our twins, one has always responded well to being the small fish in the big pond; it's the opposite with the other one. We have one going to Sutton Grammar and the other to Harris Sutton.

Wow! that's interesting. :)