Commute from Crawley

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Leia2018

Commute from Crawley

Post by Leia2018 »

Hi
Would like to find out if anyone knows of any child that commutes from Crawley to any of the Sutton grammar schools & if so, which one? f so, how does the child travel & how long is the commute?
Am thinking of trying to get my son in but without moving. Are there any buses/coaches that anyone is aware of that go from Crawley to any of the schools?

Would really appreciate advice/opinions on this subject.
ToadMum

Re: Commute from Crawley

Post by ToadMum »

Not in your area, but none of the journeys looks too bad, assuming that Southern Rail have given up going on strike :roll: :

1) Crawley to Wilson's School, Mollison Drive, Wallington SM6 9JW
Arrive by 23/04/2018 08:21
49 min 07:25 - 08:13

07:25 from Three Bridges
Walking duration 7 min
07:25 Three Bridges
(Platform 4)
Southern towards London Bridge
07:45 East Croydon

Walk
0.3 mi (7 mins)
08:00 Park Lane Fairfield Halls (Stop KA)
154 towards Morden
08:13 Wilson's School (Stop N)

Walk
154 ft (1 min)
08:13 Wilson's School, Mollison Drive, Wallington SM6 9JW
Tickets and information
London General
Southern - Buy tickets - +44 345 127 2920

2) 06:58 from Three Bridges

10 min

06:58Three Bridges

(Platform 3)

Southern towards Bognor Regis

07:10

07:20Horsham

(Platform 1)

Southern towards London Victoria

08:12Sutton

Walk

0.6 mi (11 mins)

08:22 Sutton Grammar School, Manor Ln, Sutton SM1 4AS

3) 07:25 Three Bridges
(Platform 4)
Southern towards London Bridge
07:45 East Croydon

Walk
285 ft (1 min)
07:53 East Croydon Rail Station (Stop E6)
410 towards Wallington
08:16 Wallington County Grammar School (Stop GV)
(Wallington County Grammar School, Croydon Rd, Wallington SM6 7PH

(Google search in each case was 'distance Crawley to <name of school>, selecting public transport option, arrival time, tomorrow morning. Unfortunately, copy/paste on my phone plays havoc with formatting, at I think it's just about comprehensible :) ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

London Bridge is never that straightforward though, is it? I mean it's a long while since I lived there but it was notorious for hold ups....
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:London Bridge is never that straightforward though, is it? I mean it's a long while since I lived there but it was notorious for hold ups....
None of those journeys involves actually going as far as London Bridge. Some people do have hang-ups about their DC going anywhere near Croydon, but that would seem irrational if one is considering a school in Wallington, for example :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Leia2018

Post by Leia2018 »

Thank you everyone, really appreciate the time everyone has taken to reply....

Not very familiar with that side of London so wanted to ask the question...

My older son needs a more challenging environment/peers, at the moment he is at the top of his class in both English & Maths but has no one he can compete with. He is also someone who likes to be like his friends, so if they are going at a slower pace, then he will happily coast along. But we are not sure if we want to commit to a house move, we also have his younger brother to consider, who will probably do well in any decent school.....dilemmas of a parent.
Thank you so much
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

As you are 'not very familiar' with Kent, either, is there an area you have personally investigated? Both 'halves' of Sussex being comprehensive, surely not all of the academically able year 7s attend fee-paying schools, or grammar schools in distant areas of the South East?

Comprehensive schools almost certainly do not get such good 'headline' GCSE or A level results as grammar schools, but that doesn't mean that the most able DC in their intake don't do as well as they should be expected to do.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now