Travelling to Wallington High School for Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2018allocation

Travelling to Wallington High School for Girls

Post by 2018allocation »

Hi
My DD is going to WHGS in September.
I currently was thinking if anyone else travels from Clapham to Wallington and how is the journey?

Thanks
mad?

Re: Travelling to Wallington High School for Girls

Post by mad? »

If you really want to know the best thing to do is to try it yourself at the relevant time. I was at East Croydon this morning at 7.10am, lots of school kids around but do not take mine or anyone else's perspective on it, try it yourself and see what you think, in term time, in the rain ideally.
mad?
2018allocation

Post by 2018allocation »

Thanks will give it try .
RuedeWakening

Post by RuedeWakening »

There are direct trains from Clapham Junction to Wallington, then a 127, 463 or S4 bus from the station direct to the school. There's a school bus too (612 maybe?) but only once or twice a day.

Or, direct train from Clapham Junction to Carshalton, then 127 bus to the school. Or train to Hackbridge and 151 to Wallington high street then a 10ish minute walk.

Or, train to Croydon (East or West) then 157/154 bus to Wallington and 10ish minute walk.

But bear in mind that Southern are pretty much on strike all. the. time.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

RuedeWakening wrote:There are direct trains from Clapham Junction to Wallington, then a 127, 463 or S4 bus from the station direct to the school. There's a school bus too (612 maybe?) but only once or twice a day.

Or, direct train from Clapham Junction to Carshalton, then 127 bus to the school. Or train to Hackbridge and 151 to Wallington high street then a 10ish minute walk.

Or, train to Croydon (East or West) then 157/154 bus to Wallington and 10ish minute walk.

Not to mention, about to make rather a lot of changes to their timetable? Presumably so that no-one can tell whether there is meant to be a train or not?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
2018allocation

Post by 2018allocation »

ToadMum wrote:
RuedeWakening wrote:There are direct trains from Clapham Junction to Wallington, then a 127, 463 or S4 bus from the station direct to the school. There's a school bus too (612 maybe?) but only once or twice a day.

Not to mention, about to make rather a lot of changes to their timetable? Presumably so that no-one can tell whether there is meant to be a train or not?

yes all changes are coming into effect from 20th May so would have to wait until then to see how journey will be.?
2018allocation

Post by 2018allocation »

From Clapham to Wallington seems a better option as has more buses. The other day I was in Wallington around 3:15 and saw 463 and 127 which are quiet frequent
RuedeWakening

Post by RuedeWakening »

To be fair, it's walkable from the station to the school anyway, prob take 15-20 minutes depending on how fast you go.

There are more buses from Wallington station just because it's much closer to the school, but the train does take a lot longer. And, it's useful to have different options available so if there's trouble on one line, knowing which bus to get to Carshalton and the other train line really helps.

I forgot to mention, other alternative is Purley station then the 127 to school.
2018allocation

Post by 2018allocation »

RuedeWakening wrote:To be fair, it's walkable from the station to the school anyway, prob take 15-20 minutes depending on how fast you go.

There are more buses from Wallington station just because it's much closer to the school, but the train does take a lot longer. And, it's useful to have different options available so if there's trouble on one line, knowing which bus to get to Carshalton and the other train line really helps.

I forgot to mention, other alternative is Purley station then the 127 to school.

Thank a lot ruedeawakening for all the info as its really very helpful.
Junebaby

Post by Junebaby »

Hi 2018 sorry to hijack your thread but i saw you asking for waiting list movement and then staring this thread re travel.
Did you get a place of waitlist or were you asking for a friend like i am?
If so was it OOC or IC?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now