Wallington Girls feedback please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Smarties)

Wallington Girls feedback please

Post by Smarties) »

Hello,

I’d really appreciate some honest feedback on WHSG. My dd has the opportunity to go to this school but I’d like some insights on the life at school. Are girls happy, is there time to do some sports considering the homework, what would you say the average time spent on homework is in Year 7? I know there are guidelines on the school website but if I’d really appreciate some advice based on experience. Thank you kindly.
RuedeWakening

Re: Wallington Girls feedback please

Post by RuedeWakening »

DD won't start until September but I know quite a few older girls who are there currently, from year 8 to year 13.

From what they say, there is a fair amount of homework, but also lots of opportunities to take part in sport, music, drama etc.

The year 8 girl isn't the most organised and seems to spend at least 2 hours a weeknight doing homework plus more at weekends, she got a place from the waiting list last year and has struggled to keep up a bit. But still has time for Guides, youth club, weekends away with friends etc etc.
Smarties)

Post by Smarties) »

Thank you for your reply. That’s helpful. I suppose it takes time to adjust to the new routine and a big change from primary. Waiting list places would also be different if in catchment or OOC. Does anyone one know if there’s a football team?
CrystalMadre

Post by CrystalMadre »

My DD is currently in year 7 of Wally girls and is thoroughly enjoying it. Whilst she is bright she is also sporty and the school have really provided her with lots of opportunities to compete in netball, athletics and rounders this year. The girls have been very successful in sport overall this year and placed much higher in borough and London competitions than Nonsuch. There is a football team plus a cricket team and the girls also all do dance and gymnastics and can do extra clubs in these.
Equally, there are girls in my DDs year that had roles in the drama production and there are lots of music bands and events. My DD loves Art and Wally has a fantastic art department and also offer various D&T options as well as Photography at GCSE.
The school encourage girls to pursue different extra curricular activities and provides lots of classes and clubs. However, the school is very large with an intake of 210 Girls per year so if girls are not proactive they will miss out on these opportunities.
Homework in year 7 is more than manageable (IMHO there could be more!) and girls are tested regularly to ensure that they understand topics before moving on. In year 7 the school is really focused on the girls getting used to senior school, being organised and managing their time as they do 12/14 subjects plus extra curricular. There is an emphasis on wellbeing and the nurturing the whole child.
Wally Girls is a fantastic school with strong academics, good pastoral care and a vibrant atmosphere.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

My DD is further up the school.
She is very happy.
There is a fun vibe to the school.
Current year 9 will be doing 10 GCSEs not 11 as previously.The years above that had to do RE and then choose at least geog or history. They could do all three.
Now they can choose one out of RE/ hist/geog as their humanity.
Can still do all three if they wish.
Art and DT are particularly strong.
Sport is good.They have been the borough athletics champions for the last six years running at least.
They usually do better than Nonsuch in borough events.
There isn’t a culture of tutoring or a feeling of pressure amongst my DD or any of her friends.
The gifted mathematicians join with those at Wilson’s for extension maths.
Homework I would say is pretty minimal most of the time.
Certainly much less than Nonsuch where my DD has several friends in the same year.
Due to maternity leave my DD has had quite a few supply teachers this year.
Canteen queues can be long.
Pastoral care a bit hit and miss.
GCSE results not quite as good as Nonsuch but A level better.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now