Insight into Wilson’s Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Leia2018

Insight into Wilson’s Grammar School

Post by Leia2018 »

Hi

I was wondering if there were any parents or even students that currently go to this school and can give some insight into school life there? Areas such as making new friends if from out of the area, extra curricular activities, how they help settle new students in, pace of study, social/ background make/up, where people generally travel from, any insight that you are unable to get from the website.

Thank you
newdud

Re: Insight into Wilson’s Grammar School

Post by newdud »

I have a son in Yr 9 in Wilson now.
In terms of making new friends, it is just like any other school, they are left to get on with it. Only one other boy from
my son's primary school went to that school, but my son had no problems with making new friends

The school has a very good procedure in place for settling the new boys into the school, sometime in late July all the new year 7 entrants are invited to an activity day in school. When the term starts all of them they are guided into how to settle into the school and the homework policy, rules for the school etc. For Year 7 & 8 they have an exclusive school block with its own canteen so the boys do not feel overwhelmed coming from a small primary school.

The school discipline is very good and I must say the school management is also very good.

One thing I would point out is that since it is a super selective grammar school, boys are not spoon feed, however, support is available if they fall behind in any subject. All boys are expected to manage their homework schedule and hand them in on time. The homework is no more than you would expect from any other school, in year 9 onwards the amount of work given does ramp up a bit. But by that time they should be able to cope with it as they have been there for 2 years. In year 9 onwards they do steam the boys into groups for core subjects by ability but since this is a super selective school someone being in the bottom groups does not mean anything.

They have a very good sports and music dept, all boys learn a music instrument in year 7 and this is optional from year 8 onwards.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I am told they start GCSE subjects from year 9. Please confirm, newdud.
newdud

Post by newdud »

Yes, that is correct.
They finish KS3 a year early and start prep for GCSE
With the new GCSE system, they do 1 GCSE at the end of Yr 10 and the rest in Yr11 as normal.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thanks. How many subjects do they sit for?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

newdud wrote:Yes, that is correct.
With the new GCSE system, they do 1 GCSE at the end of Yr 10 and the rest in Yr11 as normal.
Is the one they take early in a subject that the school doesn't offer at A level? If not, what is the point of taking it a year before the rest of their GCSEs?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Bluearrow

Post by Bluearrow »

tiffinboys wrote:Thanks. How many subjects do they sit for?
I think they do 10 GCSE plus Religious Study which is a short course and only counts as 1/2 GCSE.
Bluearrow

Post by Bluearrow »

ToadMum wrote:
newdud wrote:Yes, that is correct.
Is the one they take early in a subject that the school doesn't offer at A level? If not, what is the point of taking it a year before the rest of their GCSEs?
The one they take in Year 10 is RS.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thanks
Stories&Exams

Post by Stories&Exams »

Our DS has just been to the induction day this year and said that he expected it to be a very good school, but was genuinely surprised that it was so good. He really liked the boys that will go into the new Year 7 as they all were friendly.

We do look forward to the new start at the school!