Insight into Wilson’s Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
newdud

Re: Insight into Wilson’s Grammar School

Post by newdud »

Over the coming months, you will find that like-minded boys will form friendships just like any other school.

You will find there are some boys who can be disruptive even though all of them are academically bright, however, the school has very good discipline and they will nip it in the bud!
Irisa

Post by Irisa »

It was an excellent overview. Hard to add to it. My son has great experience so far, and he had no other boys from his primary school when he started. He has made new friends.

Music is excellent, including the orchestra and the quire. School trips in Y7 and Y8 are very good and well organised. The first one, for the whole class in Y7 is to Wales.

Bus journey from school may be a bit of an issue; 157 is not frequent, often runs late and becomes overcrowded.

Two more points. The school insists that appointments with orthodontists should be made outside of school hours, and distributes the term dates, including half days with early finishing times before the start of the school year. Not sure how much that helps; will have to find out this year.

Secondly, the school does not support taking exams in additional foreign languages outside of the school carriculum and does not allow time off for that purpose. At the same time all sorts of sports competitions are supported (and presumably leave is allowed), even for sports that are not done at school.
newdud

Post by newdud »

Two more points. The school insists that appointments with orthodontists should be made outside of school hours, and distributes the term dates, including half days with early finishing times before the start of the school year. Not sure how much that helps; will have to find out this year.
Secondly, the school does not support taking exams in additional foreign languages outside of the school carriculum and does not allow time off for that purpose. At the same time all sorts of sports competitions are supported (and presumably leave is allowed), even for sports that are not done at school.
The school can be very rigid and inflexible in the application of some the rules. For my son, I had put in appointment times in school ours and put in a request for authorized leave, one year his attendance was just above what they consider expected (97%+) due to the number of appointments.

Also, another point I would like to raise which is not mentioned in the glossy is that even though it is a super selective GS there are boys that score very low grades in their end of term/year exam. I do not know how the school deals with these boys!

But on the whole, it is a very good school.
ExTiffinDad

Post by ExTiffinDad »

DS is starting Year 10 and Wilson's has been amazing. Every aspect of the school is just on another level. Love it.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

My DS is about to start the sixth form.
The school so far has been amazing.
Fabulous pastoral care.
In year 11 the boys finish at 1pm unless there are GCSE progress concerns. If there are they are helped on Friday afternoons.
The support through the GCSE years has been absolutely brilliant.