Feedback For Sutton Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ldk001

Feedback For Sutton Grammar School

Post by ldk001 »

Hello all,

Any parents here with sons at Sutton Grammar? Would love some insight into the school, please?

Thanks
tiffinboys

Re: Feedback For Sutton Grammar School

Post by tiffinboys »

Have you searched previous threads on this topic?
ldk001

Post by ldk001 »

Yes, but I couldn’t find anything recent.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I don’t expect much changes year to year. Read the threads over 2 to 3 years. You will get pretty fair idea about the school.

And I do hope some SGS parent will add soon.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Hi! I am an SGS parent.

We love the school. It is smaller than most - 27 boys per form, five forms per year. Has a nurturing sort of atmosphere. My DS (y7) has been late once or twice but hasn't had a late detention - I think the school is fairly understanding of the difficulties of transitioning from primary to secondary. My DS has found it difficult on occasion but the school has responded very well and he is doing fine.

The school is near the town centre so doesn't have much outside space. It does have a good sports hall and an outside swimming pool, used in terms 1 and 6. The playing fields at Northey are lovely - my DS has games every Friday afternoon, they get a bus to Northey after lunch and are brought back to school afterwards. They do a lot of football, hardly any rugby.

The boys have three form tutors during their time at SGS - one in Y7, then one for Y8-9 and one for Y10-11. The Y7 form tutors are very good at helping the boys move from primary to secondary.

They do one MFL in Y7 and do a trip to that country (Germany or France). They add a second MFL in Y8 and spend more time on it so that by the end of Y9 they should have spent equal time on both languages.

There are lots of extra-curricular things going on, although my DS hasn't joined in very many of them yet. Music lessons are offered, there are music, choir and drama clubs as well as sports clubs, chess, board games etc. The house system is important and there are quite a few house tournaments, in curriculum subjects (humanities, physics, drama etc) as well as sport.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will try to answer as well as I can.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Still no Spanish?
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

In 2017 they had the following GCSE entrants:

34 French
52 German
41 Spanish
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thanks, Streathammum. Very helpful post.
Catlady

Post by Catlady »

Hi Ldk001
Our DS is Year 9 and I would totally agree with Streathammum's view. SGS is an excellent school and the pastoral care is fantastic. We were initally concerned because our son isn't very sporty but needn't have worried, the school has even managed to get him interested in football and offers the opportunity for alternative sports such as golf and rock climbing within the curriculum.
The smaller class size and intake per annum is good though I'm sure the other Grammar schools are just as good. The sports field located at Northey Avenue isn't an issue and the boys quite quickly get used to it. SGS also has a swmimming pool which is a rarity these days. I'm sure your DS will enjoy his time there.
ldk001

Post by ldk001 »

Hello streathammum and Catlady,

So sorry for the delayed response, hadn't logged in for a few days.

Thank you so much for the fab info. My son is at a prep school at the moment (Y4) and we're starting to think about senior schools for him. We're really looking to visiting the grammar schools next month and Sutton Grammar in Sept. It sounds lovely and so nice to hear that your boys are enjoying their time there.