Number of Students Entred for Exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
newdud

Number of Students Entred for Exam

Post by newdud »

For last year is there any data on the number of students sat the 1st stage Exam for the 3 Sutton Boys GS and the number that passed the test ?
Tid

Re: Number of Students Entred for Exam

Post by Tid »

Can’t find a reference for exactly how many boys sat the first stage in Sep 2017 but seem to recall reading it was about 3000 or so.

After the first stage Wallington County either say you have met the requirement or not as they don’t have a second stage. Their requirement from the first stage is higher than that required to get through to the second stage for SGS and Wilsons, but only marginally so I believe, so probably only 20-30 boys get through to stage 2 at Wilsons and SGS but do not qualify for Wallington.

995 candidates sat the joint second stage exam for SGS and Wilsons.

SGS consider both stage tests when assigning a final mark with a weighting of 2:2:3:3 of 1st stage maths:1st stage eng:2nd stage maths:2nd stage Eng, so in effect the first stage test is worth 40% of the final mark, the second stage 60% (Wilsons mark 1:1:4:4 so more heavily weight stage 2)

In the end SGS said 809 of the 995 that sat the second stage met their required standard, and Wilsons said that 624 that sat the second stage met their required standard.

The first stage is multiple choice which is machine marked and comes back quite quickly, the second stage has long form answers so is marked by hand which takes a little longer with 995 scripts to get through!

I’ll check back in another time to see if you have any more questions.
Tid

Post by Tid »

It was nagging at me so I found the source I remembered for my approx. numbers that took the first stage for the Sutton boys schools:

Bluearrow on this forum said in the thread "Huge entrant numbers this year??" on 21st September 2017:
This year 3125 boys registered to take the test
I don't know where Bluearrow got this data, maybe you could ask him/her
annaMc

Post by annaMc »

I’m not sure about the boys, but 2409 girls sat the eligibility test in 2017.
newdud

Post by newdud »

Thankyou TID and annaMc for the info
I was trying to gauge the level of competition for the 3 boys GS.

So by the sounds of it, only the top 20% of on the exam entrants will have any chance of a place in any of the boys GS
This is just a very rough 'back of the fag packet' calculation
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now