Please help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Annijo

Please help

Post by Annijo »

Hello everyone, i am new to the forum and my son will be taking 11 plus exam next year. I am completely lost and does not know any difference between CEM and GL exams. What's the difference between the two? I live in Surrey and hoping to get him to take exams for Surrey grammar schools, and I have no idea whether they follow CEM or GL format of the papers. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thank yoj
Rugbymumto2

Re: Please help

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... ey-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Try reading this to start with.
newdud

Re: Please help

Post by newdud »

Here are some of my thoughts on the limited knowledge that I have on this topic. :lol:

CEM papers have been developed by the University of Durham and they are supposed to be "tutor proof". How far this holds true I do not know.

CEM English papers tend to be very challenging i.e. the child is expected to have a very wide variety of vocabulary, be able to understand poetry and very rapidly absorb a piece of comprehension and answers questions on it. I expect all of these skills are picked up by reading books from an early age and not from intensive tutoring!

CEM Maths tend to be very wordy questions whereby a lot of information is given in a question but the child is expected to very rapidly pick up the right set of information and discard the reset, so the question can be answered correctly.

All of this is done under quite a an extreme time pressure!

For 11+ the CEM (and GL) papers are based on the KS2 curriculum so they are taught all these in primary school as part of their everyday learning. It is just that for 11+ the child is expected to achieve beyond the average!

None of the Sutton GS do not conform to either GL or CEM but a mixture of both, as they set their own papers.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now