SET Prep

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MCLC

Re: SET Prep

Post by MCLC »

Hi RainbowStars!

'egregious' was the word that happened to appear and I actually came across it in a book I was reading at the time. I noted down words and their definitions each evening for her to read the next morning. She was doing the same from her own current reading book. I bought the FPTP books on grammar and would also note down any new vocab from that book and any other test material.
ilovemykids2018

Post by ilovemykids2018 »

MCLC
This is really useful information, thanks so much.
In regards to maths what was the format, please? Did your DD find the actual test harder/easier than the prep she had done and what kind of prep were you doing at this stage last year?
Does she remember what else was in the English paper?
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

ilovemykids2018 wrote:
MCLC
This is really useful information, thanks so much.
In regards to maths what was the format, please? Did your DD find the actual test harder/easier than the prep she had done and what kind of prep were you doing at this stage last year?
Does she remember what else was in the English paper?

My DD found the SET similar to the practice she had been doing at home. We used the GL assessment papers, FPTP, CGP books a Bond books. I believe there was comprehension in the English paper too (multiple choice). I think the key with the comprehension is not to rush straight into an answer. I found my dd did this at home, especially with the GL assessment papers. There are often two choices which are very similar.
RainbowStars

Post by RainbowStars »

Thank you MCLC! Must admit I've just googled 'egregious' - don't think I've ever hear that word :?

Guess we'll just keep going over as much vocab as possible - and fingers crossed for the best.
ilovemykids2018

Post by ilovemykids2018 »

What kind of marks was your DD getting with the practice papers you did at home prior to the exam?
Does she remember what the writing piece was about?
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

ilovemykids2018 wrote:What kind of marks was your DD getting with the practice papers you did at home prior to the exam?
Does she remember what the writing piece was about?
It varied but generally late 88 - 92% on the GL assessment papers. Early 90% on the CGP papers. She found the FPTP maths the most challenging. The maths SET was pretty tough and she said they were word problems which became quite difficult after just a couple of questions into the paper. She did the Wallington mock and said that the SET was much harder.