2nd Stage Test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rukmesh

Re: 2nd Stage Test

Post by rukmesh »

Did anyone receive further email regarding arrangements for the 2nd stage test ?
ilovemykids2018

Post by ilovemykids2018 »

Tid wrote:In case it helps, my son sat the second stage last year, and here is some text I wrote to a friend of mine who was planning for this year:

This is NOT multiple choice, and there is a maths paper, and an English paper. The English paper wasn’t a comprehension and SPAG type paper, but had a long passage that the boys were then asked to rewrite in a personalised diary format rather than the third person account I think. The maths my son said was VERY hard; 14 multi part questions and he didn’t finish the final two parts of Q14. Others who took it also commented that the maths was very hard too.

SGS consider both stage tests when assigning a final mark with a weighting of 2:2:3:3 of 1st stage maths:1st stage eng:2nd stage maths:2nd stage Eng, so in effect the first stage test is worth 40% of the final mark, the second stage 60% (Wilsons mark 1:1:4:4 so more heavily weight stage 2)

If it helps, my son passed stage 2 and was offered a place, so you can see that the maths was hard even for those candidates that were ultimately successful.

Hope that helps.
This is really helpful, thanks for sharing - does anyone know how many girls got put through to 2nd stage?
sleeplessmum

Post by sleeplessmum »

Hi exam2018,

Rough is fine, just make sure its is eligible. I agree with the other authors my ds sat it is a couple of years ago and missed out the last questions, due to it being hard and time constraints and was still offered his first grammar place.
Exams2018

Post by Exams2018 »

Thanks Tid
Exams2018

Post by Exams2018 »

sleeplessmum wrote:Hi exam2018,

Rough is fine, just make sure its is eligible. I agree with the other authors my ds sat it is a couple of years ago and missed out the last questions, due to it being hard and time constraints and was still offered his first grammar place.
Thank you.
cybekpmc

Post by cybekpmc »

Does anyone know if in 2nd stage English paper seperate planning time (for descriptive writing) is given and what is the total time for the English paper - is it 45 min or 60 min ? Is it fair to assume that comprehension and related questions will not come in 2nd stage ?
zilin1712

Post by zilin1712 »

rukmesh wrote:Did anyone receive further email regarding arrangements for the 2nd stage test ?
No, I have not. Hope to get an email soon so we know what time the exam will be..
OnlyTw7dad

Post by OnlyTw7dad »

I wish the school let us know what to expect and how many hours each paper will be for the stage 2.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

OnlyTw7dad wrote:I wish the school let us know what to expect and how many hours each paper will be for the stage 2.
There is some information on this page
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... ey-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't know if it is up to date. Presumably they deliberately keep it a little vague otherwise everyone would be able to practice - this way they can mix it up a little.
scary mum
confusednewbie

Post by confusednewbie »

Hello all

I’m new here and very confused... so hoping someone can help clarify some of this for me...please

my DD got thru stage 1 so will sit the next exam on saturday I guess.

The email said she scored enough for Greenshaw selective 60 and for the joint NonSuch Wallington exam.

I’m trying to figure out her chances for nonsuch as that is the closest school to us... at 5 miles away.

Does anyone know how many girls are through to the next exam and also does everyone who gets thru also get the Greenshaw statement on their email?

Also how many spaces are there for all girls vs how many pass the 2nd exam?
Is the pass mark Predetermined or do they look at everyone above a certain mark for that year?
Some Numbers on a previous thread suggest that maybe there are twice as many who pass as places available.. but have I misunderstood that?

We were looking at Nonsuch for travel reasons but wondering if we need to also now consider wallington and Greenshaw... although I don’t understand the selective 60 bit or how the whole process works.

My DD was very pleased to get thru, as we’re we, but she didn’t finish the maths paper so wondering what this means for the next exam... I mean will she struggle to finish?

Many thanks in advance for any help, guidance and advice and apologies for any typos it hope this makes sense