Tiffin Girls Stage 1 exam today

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Stroller

Re: Tiffin Girls Stage 1 exam today

Post by Stroller »

kprad35 wrote:The crowd was overwhelming .The number of applications last year was 1427 ( 510 called for stage 2). I guess this year number of applications for stage 1 may be around 3000(approx) as there is no encatchment restrictions for stage 1. So how do they detrmine how many to shortlist for stage 2?
I have no inside track on the admissions numbers; whatever I posted previously came from Kingston’s Secondary School Admissions brochure. The latest one is here and you’ll find the TGS data on page 38.

I can’t think of any reason why twice as many girls would sit stage 1 this year, so let’s not get carried away. Was there even an afternoon sitting? I don’t recall hearing anything about that.

Unless you are living in the designated area by the time you apply for a place at the school on the common application form, your daughter is not eligible for a place and sitting the test will have been pointless.

We also know from previous years that the school will only mark the stage two exams of candidates with a valid application. Wasting a Saturday on the stage two test is completely futile if you do not list the school on the CAF - nobody will even read your daughter’s answers.

The number of candidates any superselective school invites to the second stage test seems to be a ratio of maybe 2.5 but not more than 3.0 times the number of places available. The actual number likely takes account of the school’s experience in recent years, its perceived “desirability” (what percentage of families usually accept the offer), local choice (decent alternatives), and how far down the list the school would be willing to go. For TGS, I reckon they invite 450-500 candidates to sit the second stage. To date, that has always been more than enough to fill every available place. Good luck to all of them.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
KingstonMama

Post by KingstonMama »

That’s really useful insight Stroller.

There was definitely an afternoon session as well as morning because they were queueing to go in aswe picked up our morning girls and the people in high vis marshalling the parents were directing those to sit pm and those to collect am.
squareofthewicket

Post by squareofthewicket »

scary mum wrote:According to the admission criteria (I'm not from your area, I looked because I was interested), the permanent address is the one on the CAF, is the on at the end of October. Permanent address is defined as follows:
. 5.5.5 If the main address has changed temporarily, for example where a family is renting a
property on a Short Term Tenancy Agreement (12 months or under), then the
permanent place of residence remains that at which the girl was resident before the
period of temporary residence began unless it can be shown that all ties to the
previous address have been relinquished, or that the move is not reversible.
IIRC, I had to include our council ward on the application when I applied for our DD to take the Stage 1 test.
kprad35

Post by kprad35 »

The kingston council guideline clearly says the encatchment rules are not applicable for stage 1 , inner or designated area restrictions are applicable during stage 2 marking(I think this is due to Greenwich ruling ) where school cant prevent any UK resident from applying.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Anyone is entitled to apply for any school they wish. However if they don't fulfil the admissions criteria (or aren't high enough up the list to realistically do so), it is a waste of a space on the CAF. Those applying with a fraudulent address risk having the place being taken away at a later stage. Local authorities are very hot on this these days.
(And it's "catchment", not "encatchment" - sorry :D )
scary mum
Molita75

Post by Molita75 »

:lol:
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

My DD sat the Tiffin exams last year. She overheard people suggesting that thousands were arriving to sit the exam yet according to the figures it was just over 1400. The queues can be misleading. At the second stage exam we were talking to a family who lived out of the designated area and were not going to put Tiffin as their first choice as they knew they wouldn't be offered a place. They were likely to get a place at Latymer in North London but had opted to sit the Tiffin exam regardless. I am sure they weren't the only ones.
Kaira

Post by Kaira »

HI,

TGS admission policy states the following:

5.5.6 By submitting an Application to the School the parent/carer guarantees that the
permanent place of residence of the girl is as stated on the Application

Hence, if I'm not wrong, one can't change address after stage 1.

However, what I dont understand is that if school only selects candidates for stage 2 from inner and designated areas?
Pinklily10

Post by Pinklily10 »

Stroller wrote:
kprad35 wrote:The crowd was overwhelming .The number of applications last year was 1427 ( 510 called for stage 2). I guess this year number of applications for stage 1 may be around 3000(approx) as there is no encatchment restrictions for stage 1. So how do they detrmine how many to shortlist for stage 2?
I have no inside track on the admissions numbers; whatever I posted previously came from Kingston’s Secondary School Admissions brochure. The latest one is here and you’ll find the TGS data on page 38.

I can’t think of any reason why twice as many girls would sit stage 1 this year, so let’s not get carried away. Was there even an afternoon sitting? I don’t recall hearing anything about that.

Unless you are living in the designated area by the time you apply for a place at the school on the common application form, your daughter is not eligible for a place and sitting the test will have been pointless.

We also know from previous years that the school will only mark the stage two exams of candidates with a valid application. Wasting a Saturday on the stage two test is completely futile if you do not list the school on the CAF - nobody will even read your daughter’s answers.

The number of candidates any superselective school invites to the second stage test seems to be a ratio of maybe 2.5 but not more than 3.0 times the number of places available. The actual number likely takes account of the school’s experience in recent years, its perceived “desirability” (what percentage of families usually accept the offer), local choice (decent alternatives), and how far down the list the school would be willing to go. For TGS, I reckon they invite 450-500 candidates to sit the second stage. To date, that has always been more than enough to fill every available place. Good luck to all of them.
Thank you very much for your analysis Stroller.
Gee9876

Post by Gee9876 »

Stroller wrote:

Thank you so much for providing us with the facts! :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now