New to the 11+ forum

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tiadefri

New to the 11+ forum

Post by Tiadefri »

Hello mums and dads, please help!!
My name is Tia, my daughter is in year 5 currently attending test teach, someone recommended, a centre in Sutton for tutoring. Have I started too late? Which one would be best for my daughter as she has started late ? X

We try to keep the forum as safe as possible - we don't allow tutors to be openly recommended, because it attracts posts with fake recommendations ('dodgy' advertising solely designed to solicit business on the internet).
It is also not unknown for unscrupulous competitors to 'plant' posts seeking to denigrate the opposition!
I
Genuine recommendations from forum members by PM only (private message) are permitted - but be aware of the possibility that someone who appears to be a 'helpful parent' offering advice may not be all they seem! There could be an ulterior motive.

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with great caution.
However, we have many long standing members (check carefully the date of joining and number of posts) who make a very valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a private recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering.

Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'.
It's easy to report a possible problem - just click on the red exclamation mark that appears with every post and PM: Image

Note:
  • • Institutional Course details can be found here

• Intensive Holiday Courses can be found here
Kind regards

ForumAdmin
streathammum

Re: New to the 11+ forum

Post by streathammum »

You haven't started late. You have almost a full year before your daughter needs to sit any test in Sutton or Kingston.

I can't recommend a tutor as it depends on so many factors - whether you prefer individual or group settings, whether you want tutoring in your home, someone else's home or a neutral setting, which tests you're sitting, your own child's strengths, not to mention where you live and what other extra curricular activities you have to fit around.

But rest assured, your DD has plenty of time to prepare for the exams.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Year 5 is plenty. That’s what most people do whether using a tutor or diy.

(Beware of anyone who says otherwise. Especially if it’s a tutor. :D )
Tiadefri

Post by Tiadefri »

Thank you all for the help, have any of you used test teach or oxbridge centre ?
Tiadefri

Post by Tiadefri »

Any recommendations of tutors or centres in Merton who do the 11+
annaMc

Post by annaMc »

Tiadefri wrote:Thank you all for the help, have any of you used test teach or oxbridge centre ?
I have PMed you.
newdud

Post by newdud »

@Tiadefri

I would echo the other comments on the forum, you have not started late but in good time.
Do not get too hung about tutors.

I would encourage you daughter to read books, fiction, and non-fiction, a good range of vocabulary will come in useful for the exam this is something that cannot be taught by tutors.
At home, use some of the books available for 11+ prep and go through them at a steady rate over the course of this year.