Wilsons, Tiffin, Wallington and Sutton Grammar boys schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mintmallow

Wilsons, Tiffin, Wallington and Sutton Grammar boys schools

Post by Mintmallow »

Hi,
I am looking for advice from any parents that have children at these schools. We have been to all the open evenings and we are finding it hard to decide what order to put on the CAF form, should he be fortunate enough to pass all the exams. All are possibilities in terms of travelling, although Sutton Grammar is the quickest to travel to.
Just a few questions: What are the humanities and English departments like in these schools? As i can see from open evenings that boys schools are very STEM and maths orientated. My son likes the humanities and English more.
Is it true that only Sutton Grammar doesn’t teach Latin?
Are there any major differences between the schools?
Just trying to see what would be the best fit school for my son. They all looked great, which makes it hard to decide!
Thank you.
rocky

Re: Wilsons, Tiffin, Wallington and Sutton Grammar boys scho

Post by rocky »

They are all very good schools however it's very difficult to predict how a school will be when your DS is actually there. There are a number of factors that can and often do change over the course of an academic year such as change of teachers or department heads. I would always advise try and go the school closest to where you live/easiest to travel to as this is a 7-year commitment and you need to make it as easy for your DS and for the whole family as you can. By going to a school nearby your son will be able to build up a good set of friends from school that live locally. That side of progression through secondary schools should not be overlooked. Good luck!
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

It’s true that all the above schools are quite STEM and maths orientated but if you look at the exam results they are strong across the board.
I’d take other things into account as well.
Music,CCF,football vs rugby etc.
The first consideration should always be ease of travel I think.
Wilson’s is very strong for football,CCF and music.
Wally boys have an outstanding reputation for rugby ( and other things I’m sure but that’s what I’ve heard about,I don’t have a son there).
I know parents with boys at all of them except Tiffin and all are happy with their choices.
Mintmallow

Post by Mintmallow »

Thanks all for the advice.
Irisa

Post by Irisa »

Indeed Sutton Grammar does not do Latin.

Tiffin and Wilson's overall are slightly higher in GCSE and A-level league tables than the other two, but the difference is not crucial. Also, every year is different. I've known people in all of them who were happy with their respective choices.

Tiffin is probably marginally harder to get into - based on this forum's discussion nobody from outside their "Inner priority area" had been offered a place for Y7 that just started. As Sutton has 3 grammar school for boys, it's slightly more likely to get an offer.

I agree that distance should be one of the key factors.

Wally Boys and Wilson's got their sports grounds nearby - for Sutton Grammar this involves some travel (well organised by the school). Same with Tiffin. So it depends on whether your son is very much into sports - does he prefer football or rugby and is he likely to participate in the fixtures?

Wilson's is very strong on music. All boys in Y7 learn a new instrument as part of their Music course, paid for by the school (brass instruments or voice) Tiffin is, I believe, very strong on drama. Sutton Grammar does amazing projects on science and engineering.

And do ask your son which one he felt was a nice place to be at. They are all good.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Music at Tiffin

http://tiffinschool.co.uk/news/?p=1244" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://sites.google.com/tiffin.kingsto ... home/media" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mintmallow

Post by Mintmallow »

Thanks for the advice Irisa. He is not particularly sporty.
I think it will come down mainly to his feelings about the schools, as I would be happy with any of them!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now