Tiffin Boys vs Dr Challenor - performance comparison

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
computer123

Tiffin Boys vs Dr Challenor - performance comparison

Post by computer123 »

Please can anyone share any comparisons between performance of these 2 grammars schools?
Hera

Re: Tiffin Boys vs Dr Challenor - performance comparison

Post by Hera »

They are both very good and miles apart. Surely where you live will be the deciding factor?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

There is nowhere, surely, that is in catchment for both schools? And for DCGS, the cut-off date for being in catchment for first round allocation is six months before the CAF deadline? With very few, if any, places coming up in subsequent rounds?

So if you are talking about 2020 admission for your own DS, comparing the two schools can only be - pardon the pun - academic.

There must be something about where you live currently that has caused you not to want to move away from there urgently until now. Personally, I would do what, presumably, the vast majority of the other residents do, and make the most of the educational opportunities in the area where I had chosen to live.

Unless you desperately have to move (either to a specific area of Buckinghamshire, or to within the Designated Area for the Tiffin School?) for work or family reasons, of course?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Toadmum is right. As you have already been told, you will not get places in either of those schools for 2020 - for DCGS you would have had to have moved by April 2019, and for Tiffin you would need to move before you knew the results of round 2.
Focus on the schools where you currently live.
scary mum
computer123

Post by computer123 »

Thank you. Yes, I left it too late. i am in rented accommodation now, so I would consider the move, i am just too scared of a change...of you see what i mean.
As I have DS2, and I am looking for local schools for DS1, I am thinking about the long term vision and perhaps start implementing it now, so that I make the move either before round 2 (Tiffin), the deadline is on Monday for registration, or settle with the local school for DS1 and have more time to move closer to a desired area for DS2...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

computer123 wrote:Thank you. Yes, I left it too late. i am in rented accommodation now, so I would consider the move, i am just too scared of a change...of you see what i mean.
As I have DS2, and I am looking for local schools for DS1, I am thinking about the long term vision and perhaps start implementing it now, so that I make the move either before round 2 (Tiffin), the deadline is on Monday for registration, or settle with the local school for DS1 and have more time to move closer to a desired area for DS2...
Okay...

What year will your DS1 be in when DS2 is in year 5 (latest time to move, assuming you decide to move into catchment for DCGS), or year 6 (possibly very rushed move for practically any other grammar school)? Mid year moves - i.e. starting at any point other than the normal entry points (R / yr3 where separate junior schools / Yt7 / Yr12) can be very difficult if you are moving to an area where schools are generally oversubscribed . You (or rather your DC) may have very little choice of school and once they have started work on GCSEs, may find that they have to accept a change in options etc. Yes, people do find new schools when they have to move and their DC do survive the experience, education-wise, but the later one leaves it, the more difficult it is for them to make sure that they have covered the complete, correct, GCSE syllabus.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Have a look at Slough grammars as well and their selection criteria.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Having moved school myself during secondary school years, I wouldn’t contemplate moving a child already at secondary unless I absolutely had to (either an unavoidable move or severe problems at the school itself).

Moving during gcse years should be avoided. Schools have different option groups, use different exam boards, may have full classes for some subject. Some start GCSEs in year 9, others in year 10, some a mix of both.

This is before you factor in the actual struggle to get a place as the better schools will be full.

If you missed the boat to apply your best bet now, for both your children is to take it on the chin, Look carefully at your local options and see what’s suitable and realistic. Don’t make the first move school at a difficult for the second one.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

How do you know your second son will pass the 11 plus, and where do you plan for DS1 to go at that point? It doesn't really make sense.
scary mum
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Computer123, I get that you are feeling bad because you forgot to sign your oldest child up for the 11+.
But please listen.
My daughter just did her GCSEs. She's in a semi selective school and she did really well (I'm not going to give her results on here). Her school's results are way above average.
A friend of hers went to one of our local comprehensives. It gets average results - you could almost guess the UK average by their results every year. This friend did not sit the 11+. However, by all the assessments made at that time, she would not have been likely to pass if she had done.
She just got 8 9s, 2 8s and a 7.
I'm glad my daughter is at the school she's at. It suits her personality. I will never regret her 11+ because she loves her school. But it did not make her get her results.
The comp where her friend went did not make her get her results.
They both got their results because they worked very hard and they're both bright enough to get great grades.
Your son will do as well as he can if he's supported and encouraged by you. Please don't stress about the fact that you missed the deadline. Concentrate on finding the school in your area which suits your son before the 31 October.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now