Absolute Quandary

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Wigham22

Re: Absolute Quandary

Post by Wigham22 »

Also mean tested busery. Good luck, sound like your son will do well whether ever x
jbigtime

Post by jbigtime »

Thank you again! All to be explored over the next few days. If any others have a view on Wallington from past experience I would really appreciate the insight....
Bluearrow

Post by Bluearrow »

jbigtime wrote:That’s a good idea. Thanks again. In Dulwich scholarships are tough because there is so much competition but he has a fair chance I guess at a less selective school. And it is challenging with twins but also a lot of fun. Their love/hate relationship is hilarious!
Don't worry. I think your son has a quite high chance of getting a place at WCGS, maybe not on 01/03. The way I understand it is his SET score is roughly in the middle of those eligible for 2nd round, which means he is ranked at 450-500. Three boys school take 450 in total, plus those scored high enough but decide to go to schools in other area such as QE, Tiffin or independent schools. So I think he definitely has a high chance.
jbigtime

Post by jbigtime »

Thank you so much for this, it’s very reassuring...
minimoo

Post by minimoo »

jbigtime we are in a similar situation with our DS in that he passed the 1st stage for Wallington but not the 2nd for Sutton or Wilsons. He was only 4 marks off for Sutton but it's making we wonder whether he will struggle with the work pressures at a grammar? Also....I haven't told him about not passing the 2nd stage and I don't know how to!!
jbigtime

Post by jbigtime »

I know l! I’m dreading it! Do you mind me asking what he scored in the SET stage 1? Mine scored 99.5 for English and 100.5 for maths so trying to gauge whether this will be enough...
jbigtime

Post by jbigtime »

Also on the work pressure point I’m pretty sure DS is ok as he is usually fine with exams and seems to have somehow messed up his maths paper (which is a first!). I’m sure yours is the same, it’s really tough basing everything on one paper...
minimoo

Post by minimoo »

Not at all, he got 109.35 in the English and 77.03 in Maths - tbh I'm not really sure what this means? Do you know what the mark is out of? I think that maths paper must have been particularly hard as DS is usually quite strong at maths (he scored 92.05 in the second stage and 86 in english) - sounds like your DS has done brilliantly! And of course well done to your DD too - what a summer holiday you must have had this year... :? :?
jbigtime

Post by jbigtime »

It wasn’t much fun! From my deep dive into the forum yesterday following the results I think it means the following. The SET cut off for Wallington was 216, slightly higher than Wilson’s and Sutton because they don’t have a second stage. So your DS would have achieved more than that (you add the two scores together). However neither of our scores are more than 216 because I think in the second stage the SET results are ‘restandardised’ for the c980 boys who sat the second stage. I think this means that my sons 200 will put him bang in the middle of this group.

Calling out to anyone to confirm my understanding!
kprad35

Post by kprad35 »

yes your analysis appears to be correct , so if he is in the middle and given wallington has around 210 places so he has very good chance given there are altogether 3 schools sharing 800(approx.) kids. 630 places 800 kids out of that many kids wouldn't be having Sutton as 1st pref.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now