Absolute Quandary

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum_2017

Re: Absolute Quandary

Post by mum_2017 »

This year Wilson took 192 kids it’s generally 186 so not sure if they will take 192 or even increase it to 210 making another extra class . , Sutton has 135 and Wallington Boys has 150 making it a total of (192+135+150) 487 seats . Half of the boys who have passed the exams will not even have these 3 schools as their first choices . Even the Kent children sit Sutton as back up and so does children who are targeting St Olaves , Tiffins and QE BARNET .

Also there was a good movement in Wallington Boys as well as Wilson’s this year . So I will say please put your true preference and I am sure even if you don’t get a placement by 1st March in a worst cum scenario, there is a vey high possibility that you will get it in april /May
All the best .
jbigtime

Post by jbigtime »

Thank you, both, for your help and guidance. I’m feeling much better about his chances now. Really appreciate it!
minimoo

Post by minimoo »

Thanks all - that makes sense now! Not sure what to put where though now as DS also did well in the Wandsworth test for Graveney and we like the look of Kingsdale too - any opinions/experiences on this forum of these schools?

Thanks!!
Wigham22

Post by Wigham22 »

I am debating whether to put kingsdales first, a couple always go from our prep school. Something to be said for a 10min walk to school.
minimoo

Post by minimoo »

Absolutely!! And their friends would be more local too... Did you go for any of the scholarships? I think we hear back today or tomorrow for those results?
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

minimoo wrote:Thanks all - that makes sense now! Not sure what to put where though now as DS also did well in the Wandsworth test for Graveney and we like the look of Kingsdale too - any opinions/experiences on this forum of these schools?

Thanks!!
We ruled out Kingsdale as the journey is too complicated for us. However, lots of children in my son's year (now Y8) went there and they all seem very happy.

My DD also did well in the Graveney test and is within the cut-off for previous years admission for an ability place, and she also got a language aptitude place at Chestnut Grove (near Balham station). She's borderline for a place at Wallington Girls. We are struggling a little with which order to put them in. We went through the same process with my son and eventually went for Sutton Grammar over Graveney, but even now I'm not 100% certain we made the right choice. It's very hard! (But I am aware that we are lucky to have options - I'm not trying to sound smug.)
Wigham22

Post by Wigham22 »

Yes, we got our letters today x
minimoo

Post by minimoo »

Streathammum we are in a very similar position!! We have an arts place at CG but it's my least favourite school of the locals. We would put Wallington first like a shot if it wasn't for the journey, I'm just really not sure I can justify that over half an hour's walk or bus ride to Kingsdale/Graveney. But....but....but.....I just don't know!! If only I had an actual opinion!!

You don't sound smug at all. It's a tough journey to navigate between keeping your options open (and going for the scholarship/aptitude tests) and then knowing what to do when you get the results you were after! In a small way it's a relief for us to only have Wallington on the list for a grammar.

I loved SGS though, if you don't mind me asking, what makes you think your DS may have been better off at Graveney?
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

My DD currently favours CG over the other schools she's seen. She liked the atmosphere and the creativity and the general niceness of everyone she encountered at the open evening. We know lots of families whose children are thriving there.

I think my DD would manage the journey to Wallington Girls but it is a consideration and might end up tipping the balance against (if we're offered a place - may not be).

Overall we're very pleased with Sutton Grammar but he has struggled a little with friendship groups. It seems to be getting better now but it's been tough for him at times. It may have been the case that a mixed school would have been better - he has always got on well with girls. That said, the reason we eventually went for Sutton over Graveney was the size (Graveney is more than twice the size of Sutton) and we felt Graveney may be a little overwhelming for our boy (we don't have the same concerns about our DD, who is entirely different in character).

We'll never know the counter-factual and consider ourselves lucky that he is having a great education in a lovely school and the social side will get better.
CSB

Post by CSB »

Hi jbigtime, we were in a similar position - twins, one passed grammar tests, the other didn't. Were only half a term in, but they're both thriving in their new schools so far. DD is in her element being in the extension group in the non selective school and it seems to keep her highly motivated. I can say, with the exception of maths where DS has already brought home GCSE papers for homework, the curriculum and the difficulty level is identical, and both have some excellent teachers and strong leadership. The sports and extra curricular options are fantastic at both schools. Both schools have high expectations on discipline and uniform. They're both really happy where they are, they are both working hard and making good progress, and we have no regrets about one of them missing selection for grammar. In a nutshell, there are excellent non selective schools too, and it's not a disaster if your son doesn't quite make the cut off for Wallington. Good luck, I hope both twins are happy and do well wherever they go next September.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now