Wilsons or SGS as first choice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
VBusybee

Wilsons or SGS as first choice

Post by VBusybee »

Does anyone in this forum know of any cases where people put Wilsons as first choice and didn’t get it or ended up on waiting list?
Likewise, SGS?
Usually, whoever I have spoken to said they did get their first choice in Sutton. Obviously, that doesn’t mean anything, as people and children are different every year and come with different parameters.
Or it might help to know how long is the waiting list for Wilson and SGS.
Golgo13

Re: Wilsons or SGS as first choice

Post by Golgo13 »

Have you developed a preference based on open day visits, distance from home, reputation, facilities or the design of the uniform?

I’d say put your preferred one first.

That’s the best way to get your first choice.

If you have no preference, then flip a coin. Things will probably work out.
VBusybee

Post by VBusybee »

Thanks Golgo. I have sorted out my true preference. My query essentially was why both the schools have 600+ candidates eligible when there are only 180/135 seats.
Golgo13

Post by Golgo13 »

It’s probably the same core of 500 kids for each of the 4 boys grammars in Kingston/Sutton plus a couple hundred Sutton only/Kingston only in each.
VBusybee

Post by VBusybee »

Yeah, this makes sense. From experience these grammar schools know it and hence the long list.
Gringo64

Post by Gringo64 »

I know one or two people who have had Wilson's as first choice and got Sutton. For some reason, Wilson's seems to be a slightly more popular first choice.
CSB

Post by CSB »

I know someone who put Sutton 1st choice and was offered Wilson's on 1 March. They were offered and accepted Sutton from the waiting list before the term started.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

It is possible to be ranked higher for Wilsons than SGS despite Wilsons' apparent higher popularity because Wilsons and SGS compile their results in different ways - Wilsons puts more weight on the second stage test than SGS, so if a child had a weaker SET and a strong second stage test, they might end up with a higher score for Wilsons than for Sutton.