Tiffins catchment related

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Eleven11plus

Tiffins catchment related

Post by Eleven11plus »

Hi guys,
Wanted to check if anyone has any information that can help decide regarding Tiffin boys.
What are the chances of getting into Tiffins for outer priority kids ? How far did the catchment go last year ? We were in the inner priority until last year but due to catchment reducing to 10km, we are now in the outer priority area by 2km.
Any guidance would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Irisa

Re: Tiffins catchment related

Post by Irisa »

It's really impossible to estimate after they've stopped disclosing the scores of the 1st round.

3 years ago my son had passed, but we decided on another school as his first choice. Distance was just over 11km.
kprad35

Post by kprad35 »

As per Tiffin website , no kids outside catchment area have ever been offered a place.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

kprad35 wrote:As per Tiffin website , no kids outside catchment area have ever been offered a place.
But the OP is saying that they would have been in the inner area up until last year, so would not have been one of your 'outside catchment area' applicants who never got a place . In theory, presumably, if the school doesn't fill its places from the new reduced inner area, it will offer places outside that circle - the question being, how likely is it that places will be offered outside the inner area and how likely is it that those offers will include the OP's DS? Neither of which one can really hazard a guess at, without knowing too much that no-one can know yet, not even the school / its maintaining LEA.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

kprad35 wrote:As per Tiffin website , no kids outside catchment area have ever been offered a place.
I thought that was Tiffin Girls. Isn't the OP taking about the boys school?
Eleven11plus

Post by Eleven11plus »

Thanks guys. I am asking about Tiffin Boys where they have changed the admissions criteria that suggests they will try to fill their places from the inner catchment area and will only offer places to outer catchment area kids if there are any places left.
I can't see any past stats to confirm any distance related data suggesting how far it went in the last few years to make any educated choice.
kprad35

Post by kprad35 »

Eleven11plus wrote:Thanks guys. I am asking about Tiffin Boys where they have changed the admissions criteria that suggests they will try to fill their places from the inner catchment area and will only offer places to outer catchment area kids if there are any places left.
I can't see any past stats to confirm any distance related data suggesting how far it went in the last few years to make any educated choice.
Since Tiffin is the only grammar school in south west london, its very unlikely.we all regret living in this part of region as we didnt realise the risk.

All top grammar schools are either in kent , sutton , North london and hertfordshire.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Sutton is in South West London.

However, I'm not really sure why you see it as such a problem, that you may only have one option for a grammar. In most parts of the country you don't have a grammar option at all and still the children there achieve excellent exam results and future careers.

Kingston is a lovely part of the world. Don't regret living there because you've "only" got one grammar school.
ExTiffinDad

Post by ExTiffinDad »

I got in back in 1986 when all the Kingston primary schools did the test (at their own sites!)

My son is now trying to get in from the edge of Merton. I think they stretched the Outer Priority area to the limits of catchments so that they can include all of Merton borough and any other boroughs neighbouring Kingston.

If you are not in the Inner or Outer area then forget it.
ExTiffinDad

Post by ExTiffinDad »

Initial round of offers, all places have been filled from Inner Priority Area