Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:43 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:52 am
Posts: 21
Hello All,

Was interested to know what is the hit rate for Oxbridge Universities for Wilson's Leavers

Did some digging but could not find much information. There was some data from 2013 which indicated not many went to Oxbridge.

Will really appreciate insight from the members of the forum.

Thanks in Advance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:16 pm
Posts: 42
In 2013 there were 24 it seems: http://www.wilsonsschool.sutton.sch.uk/ ... 202013.pdf

In 2015 there were 10 (from 6 Form brochure). In 2016 there were 24; 2018 - 15.


Last edited by Irisa on Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:52 am
Posts: 21
Thank you Irisa.. I was going through the PDF of 2013.. Do you mind telling how did you calculate 18 . It has the below details

University of Oxford
----------------------
Biochemistry
Biological Sciences
Engineering
German
Law
Mathematics
Music
Philosophy,
Politics and Economics Physics

University of Cambridge
--------------------------
Architecture (2)
Computer Science
Economics
Engineering English (3)
Geography (3)
History (2)
Medicine Natural Sciences


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:59 pm
Posts: 5116
PS2000, may I ask why this is of interest? Assumably you wouldn’t make the daft connection that however many went in previous years that this would have any bearing on anything in the future? Because, of course, it depends on the individuals in a cohort. And, of course, particularly if your child hasn’t started at a school, so very much can change in 7 years, by the time they get to the 6th form...and that is before you understand that depending on what a child wants to do at university (and it must be their choice, not a parents desire), Oxbridge may not be the best place for that.

Choosing a school is hard but do not choose a school based on Oxbridge numbers historically which has zip bearing on what might happen in the future.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 8244
Location: Essex
kenyancowgirl wrote:
PS2000, may I ask why this is of interest? Assumably you wouldn’t make the daft connection that however many went in previous years that this would have any bearing on anything in the future? Because, of course, it depends on the individuals in a cohort. And, of course, particularly if your child hasn’t started at a school, so very much can change in 7 years, by the time they get to the 6th form...and that is before you understand that depending on what a child wants to do at university (and it must be their choice, not a parents desire), Oxbridge may not be the best place for that.

Choosing a school is hard but do not choose a school based on Oxbridge numbers historically which has zip bearing on what might happen in the future.


Oxbridge may not be the best place for that.

Tut, tut, KCG :shock: . With an attitude like that, I'm surprised that your DC have been left in your care...

You don't understand- if it's not offered at Oxbridge, one's DC simply don't want to study it :roll: .

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:59 pm
Posts: 5116
:lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:52 am
Posts: 21
ToadMum wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:
PS2000, may I ask why this is of interest? Assumably you wouldn’t make the daft connection that however many went in previous years that this would have any bearing on anything in the future? Because, of course, it depends on the individuals in a cohort. And, of course, particularly if your child hasn’t started at a school, so very much can change in 7 years, by the time they get to the 6th form...and that is before you understand that depending on what a child wants to do at university (and it must be their choice, not a parents desire), Oxbridge may not be the best place for that.

Choosing a school is hard but do not choose a school based on Oxbridge numbers historically which has zip bearing on what might happen in the future.


Oxbridge may not be the best place for that.

Tut, tut, KCG :shock: . With an attitude like that, I'm surprised that your DC have been left in your care...

You don't understand- if it's not offered at Oxbridge, one's DC simply don't want to study it :roll: .


I knew I will get some flak for the question :) ... Wilson is our top preference and I was curious to know what is the current trend on the leavers destination.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:02 pm
Posts: 920
Your DC may not even want to go to sixth form at Wilson's. It's fine to look at this sort of thing out of general interest but querying whether there were 13 or 18 Oxbridge leavers in 2013, which is at least 12 years before your own DC will be leaving, seems unnecessary.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:52 am
Posts: 21
streathammum wrote:
Your DC may not even want to go to sixth form at Wilson's. It's fine to look at this sort of thing out of general interest but querying whether there were 13 or 18 Oxbridge leavers in 2013, which is at least 12 years before your own DC will be leaving, seems unnecessary.


Hi streathammum, The reason I was querying the number as I was not sure how to interpret the PDF.. Some courses have numbers In brackets and some don't and I was not able to add that up... This would have also helped me to understand what courses are being offered.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:02 pm
Posts: 920
But the courses that received Oxbridge offers in 2013 won't bear any resemblance to the ones that are offered in 2025.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2018