Wilson's School Leavers Destination - Oxbridge

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
4mykids

Re: Wilson's School Leavers Destination - Oxbridge

Post by 4mykids »

Littlebird wrote:4amykids: time and effort putting in answering the questions?
As I said, time and effort providing the "insight" specifically requested by the OP.

Insight transcends pure facts and is defined (somewhat ironically) by the Cambridge Dictionary as "(the ability to have) a clear, deep, and sometimes sudden understanding of a complicated problem or situation".
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

almond2009 wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:
almond2009 wrote: Most sensible people would know that OxBridge stats will change down the road; ....otherwise why would all the leading state and independent schools publish leavers' destinations?
Unfortunately this forum brings out sensible and insensible parents.....! All the leading state schools and independent schools publish leavers’ destinations because they are required to by the government (as are universities for graduates).
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't think publishing leavers' destination is a universal requirement for all the leading schools. Moreover, how do you define "leading"? Schools publish these stats to demonstrate they are able to achieve positive outcome for students, and I still think this is a data point parents can take into account when deciding on a school. No one said this is the "best place to start with" as some forum members seem to be putting words into people's mouths!
This was a direct quote from you, almond2009....you said it!!!! I just quoted you -so how do you define leading schools??! - it is a requirement of all school's to track their leavers - trust me - in Connexions it was a massive part of our job, on behalf of the school and government - and they are tracked every year. And what people said, to coin a phrase, was to advise that choosing a school is hard but do not choose one based on Oxbridge destinations in the past as they have no bearing on what might happen in the future.

Littlebird, again I am sorry you have been offended by the tone of the original post. As an experienced member of the forum you try and read how people are and I certainly read (by looking at the 5 or 6 posts by the OP since they joined about sitting the test and choosing a school) that the OP was someone who took things in good humour (as it appears from their response) - you obviously don't - for that I am sorry. As a forumite, I feel it is important to make the balance between answering questions but also not colluding with some of the frankly ridiculous aspects of the 11+ that come up time and time again. Sometimes you have to be quite frank to try and get a point across - choosing a school at age 11 based on it's perceived leavers destinations is short sighted - let's leave it at that.
CSB

Post by CSB »

I think it's OK to ask about Oxbridge hit rate. Like it or not, gaining a place at Oxford or Cambridge still sets you apart from others and can open more doors in the future, depending on what you want to do. Sadly your chances of getting into Oxbridge are influenced far more by your wealth than what state school you went to - 80% of offers go to the top 2 socio-economic groups, and around 40% of offers go to students that benefit from a private education when only 7% of students are educated privately.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

I think it's OK to see whether the school has experience of navigating the Oxbridge admissions process as it's complicated and I wouldn't want to close off the option at this early stage.

I don't think it's the case that Oxbridge sets you apart and that Oxbridge is always the best option for every young person or every career path (including some of the more prestigious career paths).

My DS is in Y8 and I don't know what he will want to do for his GCSE options, which he will be picking next year, let alone his university course.
CSB

Post by CSB »

streathammum wrote: I don't think it's the case that Oxbridge is always the best option for every young person or every career path (including some of the more prestigious career paths).
Totally agree. But I can see why it's still an important measure for some, and it may give an indication of the support that the school provides for Oxbridge candidates to help give them the best chance of gaining an offer, if that's what the parents are looking for.
We were put off placing Wilson's higher up on the CAF because of what we felt was an unhealthy attitude from prospective parents on (a) anxious over-analysis of league tables (b) an overly keen interest in Oxbridge ... yet (c) indifference towards a long daily commute.
PS2000

Post by PS2000 »

Thanks Littlebird, almond2009 & CSB for supporting and providing rationale behind the question ..

Thanks Irisa, ojmum & almond2009 and others - for your useful inputs ..

and finally .. Thanks to this forum where I am always able to get the required information.
ExTiffinDad

Post by ExTiffinDad »

DS has an Oxbridge meeting for parents at Wilson this week. Past performance is a good indicator of future potential. Schools that get 10-20 into Oxbridge are in a different league to those that manage 4 or 5. But yes don't rely solely on one year's performance as the rank will go up and down with each cohort.